Translate

Monday, July 16, 2012

Today's #Scifi #fantasy short story #JamesTheModernGenie


       Watched the Eureka finale today(It's one of my favorite sci-fi shows)(We recorded it to watch later so we didn't watch it at the same time as many people) it was such a good show. It's a pity its gone. The worst part is it was actually making money and they still canceled it. Though it wasn't a large amount of money apparently. Read up more on the cancellation reasons here if your interested: http://screenrant.com/eureka-canceled-series-finale-ending-aco-127496/
Anyway enjoy the flash fiction!


James The Modern Genie

         As a genie I've granted many wishes in my lifetime and will keep granting them over the rest of it. (Immortality has its ups and downs). My name is James. Expecting a more mystical name? Tough. Believe it or not genies can have everyday names too. And if your thinking “Shouldn't a genie have an Arabic name?” you should know genies are spirits from all around the world. (Not all grant wishes though it is my job, stereotypically enough.) I'm actually a French genie, though my mother is Australian and my father is Mexican. Though really that was because I was born in France while my mother and father were traveling there. I grew up until I was around 12 in Britain then we moved to United States deep south. From this I have a very....interesting blend of accents as both my mother and father have very thick accents.
         The purpose of wish granting genies is to teach humans a lesson. We pretty much lie and pretend that we've been discovered by people once “every thousand years” and they think they're special and nobody would believe them if they told anybody. When really we're discovered a lot to teach people lessons. Sometimes we make sure we have about half of the people we meet think its a dream as if too many people know then there could be people catching on. Though many big reality altering wishes that are actually out of our powers(like them getting immortality or causing world war three or something or murdering someone) we actually just make them hallucinate and make them think its happening. Eh, even with magic we can't do everything and it would be way to risky, what if it couldn't be undone by another genie. Though if a little girl wishes for a puppy then she gets it because hey! It's a puppy!
        Though I bet you've seen the movies, they do two wishes learn their lesson, and use their last wish to reverse it all. That's pretty much how it always happens. And of course we're very good at screwing people over. Wish for immortality? Boom! They never die, but hey! They age become, diseased skeletons of themselves or wind up at the bottom of a ditch and use their last wish to set things back before. Think saying never grow old will work. Eh, your going to die at 20(Of course I give them the option to wish out of it yada yada, the entire point is a lesson.) Mostly the immortality gig is that while their confident in their immortality they waste life more than they would normally and they learn to live life to their fullest when they become mortal. The reason we make immortality a hallucination wish where they think its happening is that its very risky(people would catch on) its out of a lot of genies power, and when the person is hallucinating I can make time fast forward in their head.
      Yeah, even though we say we've been discovered only once in a thousand years or something we actually grant wishes all the time(We being the type of genie I am, remember there are genies of many types) my record for the amount of wishes I've granted in a single day is 60. 3 per person means I visited twenty humans in one day and granted their wishes and taught them lessons. (Though sometimes we do grant more or less than 3 wishes, but that wasn't one of those days. Sometimes we decide beforehand. But there was this one gal who just wouldn't get the lesson, I had to keep giving her wishes until she got it. I went up to twenty-five with her believe it or not.)
      Though people like that are not the most annoying part of the job. The most annoying part is the paperwork. Especially since my office is at that point where we transitioning to electronic records where we write down all the stuff plus enter it on the computer(*gasp* genies use computers? We use technology too? What a shock!) But we don't use all the other nice gadgets. Now if your thinking why we don't we use our magic and wish powers to get all the stuff, genies can't wish for themselves, its sort of a balance of the universe thing so we don't take everything over. We have to grant for others and not for our benefit. (“We” once again being the type of genie I am)
      So to give a perfect glimpse into the modern genie world here's what some of my wish paperwork looks like:


Your Name:
Your Magical Identification Number:
Filing Date:
Human Name:
Human's Soul Number:
Human Gender:
Human Height(kg):
Human Weight(cm):
Human Spirit Animal:
Human Favorite Color:
Human Description:____________________________________________________
____________________________________________________________________



___________________________________________________________________
___________________________________________________________________
__________________________________________________________________

Wish Details:

Below first put the EXACT phrasing of the wish by the human then summarize the events of the wish.
Then write a brief summary of the events of how you grant the wish under grant summary. At the end of wish list be sure to fill out the “Lesson Taught” section. Also with every wish you must get a complete grant detail document for the wish and fill it out and attach it to this document.

Wish #1: “____________________________________________________
___________________________________________________________”

Grant Summary:



----
And this pretty much continues with the next two wishes then gives me elaborate instructions on strange papers I have to file if I grant more than three wishes. With the paper work and some of the stupid lessons I've had to teach, (I had to teach a six year old not to cheat at video games with my wishes) being a WISH GRANTING genie can be pretty annoying. So yeah, even being a wish granting spirit has the ups and downs.

P.S. The reason I'm emphasizing the wish granting thing as not being for all genies is because my cousin works with humans as a sort of guardian angel kinda role and he is tired of this stereotype that some of you have and really he wanted me to point it out. It's my job to be stereotyped that way so actually it doesn't bother me that much. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression, but I promised him I would talk about it a lot.



This work is copyright Langdon Kennedy you may share this(email it, print it, post it on your own website, broadcast it etc.) work unaltered as long as you credit me as the author and share a link to this blog with it and it is not for profit. If you have any questions and/or are unclear of these conditions email me at llkenne1@asu.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment