Translate

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Today's #Scifi #fantasy short story #EveryoneCanReadMinds


             Well I was write, write writing today as usual, and I'm having fun reaching a particularly exiting scene in my book. And plot threads are coming together too. (As in different things from parts of the story are aligning so that its like ah-hah! Today I also realized that water is wet. I learned this while I was drinking. I share factoids I learn like this one because of those "The more you know" ads, figure I would contribute to the general knowledge of the world. Anyway, onto the flash fiction!


 Everyone Can Read Minds

          Do you know why all “psychics” in the public eye are supposedly frauds? Well, all(or at least most) of the real ones are too busy working for the government, and I'm one of them. Today I probably interrogated my thousandth terrorist. Granted I'm not sure if they use magic, or special psychic powers or whatever. I don't and neither do any of the ones I know. I use the same mind reading powers that you have except I'm much better at it.
         I wonder how many of you were baffled at the fact that I said you had mind reading powers. Everyone does. Think of smiling. Your brain decodes that they're happy. Tah-dah! You just read their mind! After all they didn't tell you they were happy did they? I do that except I am much better than any of you at it, probably thousands of time better, able to detect every expression on the face. I detect every twitch and process every gesture over the person's body.
        I also can dissect someone's word's just like you and the tone of their voice and even the spaces between their breaths. Once again though I do this much better than you do. So much so I do it scientifically but still just as quickly, sort of like a mathematician crunching numbers at incredible speeds.
         I can deduce information in the craziest ways that you wouldn't believe based on your own experiences. For example one time I was working to interrogate an enemy agent. I was outside the room watching with cameras from multiple angles. We let him wait alone in a cell for five hours alone and I watched him every minute of it. I was used to doing that. From his expressions as he paced about, sat down and fidgeted I managed to figure out he was worried for family, was merely an employed agent and had never killed within his career. It's a complicated science of how I figured that out from just his actions, something I could write several books on, and it's taken me twenty years to figure out my craft to that level.
        You don't believe that I could deduce so much? Think of it this way, have you ever gotten a bad vibe about someone and turned out to be right. The person looked nice, they had a nice face, kept themselves tidy wore nice clothes but you couldn't just shake a bad feeling? You were reading the same subtle movements I was to find their darker nature in just their littlest movements and expressions even if you were doing it subconsciously. I was doing the same thing on a much higher level with that man. Now you could be wrong and I have been wrong too. With that man I figured out his nature, the way that man moved he moved as a man that missed his family, was paid to work as an agent and had never killed. That is how my deduction worked. I used the same deduction that you use when you get that creepy vibe from that stranger that just walked into the party.
        Today I decided to use my craft on someone besides a criminal. Something I normally never do out of a sort of “honor code” of mind. I even have come up with tricks to try to do it, like when people talk to me I look at an object slightly to the left of them so I don't subconsciously read their intentions. Even if they don't realize it I'm giving them privacy. My wife knows I do this and I do look to the left of her just like everyone else. But not today.
            When I came home I looked her in the eyes.
            She immediately said to me. “Why are you making eye contact? Is there something you don't trust me about? It's ridiculous for you to even think that!”
             I sighed then said to her, “I know we've been married a long time, fifteen years in fact.”
             She then yelled at me, “Do you think I'm having an affair?”
              I read her mind, “No.” Though I thought she wasn't haven't an affair before she isn't the kind of woman to do that. “What I'm asking is...” I took a deep breath. “Do you still love me?”
              She then yelled at me, “Of course I do!”
             My heart sank. She didn't. She no longer loved me. On our wedding day she loved me with all her heart, but not now. I had been afraid to ask her the question if she loved me throughout our entire marriage after our first fight. Though really I've always feared asking that question in relationships ever since my first girlfriend. “No. You no longer love me. You did before, more than anyone else but not now. Thing about my ability is I can realize things that the person doesn't know. And I think over time our love has worn away, year by year.”
           She began to cry. “You're right.” Still sobbing she then said, “I no longer love you, but you're still the kindest man I know.” She then dashed to me and hugged me. This was the same kind of hug she gave me on the day I met her, when I used my abilities to figure out a man was going to mug and kill her and I stopped him. It was a thank you hug for saving her life.
 
This work is copyright Langdon Kennedy you may share this(email it, print it, post it on your own website, broadcast it etc.) work unaltered as long as you credit me as the author and share a link to this blog with it and it is not for profit. If you have any questions and/or are unclear of these conditions email me at llkenne1@asu.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment