Translate

Monday, August 6, 2012

Today's flash fiction Vampiric Talents Episode 1:Cordell Meets The Violinist


“We can rebuild him, we have the technology.”
Humpty Dumpty*
 
          Now today is the premier of the flash fiction series I keep talking about! DUN DUN DUN! I have the series pretty much finished so instead of things being posted late for this week things will be posted fairly quickly each morning.(8-9 am MST) The series is titled Vampiric Talents. Yes it is a tale about vampires though it really revolves around one vampire in particular, Cordell. Like I do with many of my things I put my own spin on things. Anyway the first flash fiction is shorter than the others as it's the launch. I'm no squealy preteen girl so you're not going to see that here!

        Oh and another thing too. I would love if any of you send me your own “quote a days” for me to post. My friend CJ actually “discovered” this one. I will credit you for “discovering” and ahem “attributing” your quotes if I decide to post them. Just email your “quote a day”s to llkenne1@asu.edu Thank you so much!




Vampiric Talents Episode 1: Cordell Meets The Violinist

       Yes it is true that vampires are killed by a stake through the heart. We are also killed by knives, clubs, rabid animals, lighting strikes, large rocks, diseases and the same kinda stuff you humans can be killed by. We're not immortals. We age like you do. It is also true that the sun harms us. Now we don't instantly burst into flame but it's much like sunburn for you humans. But one thousand times worse. If the sunlight is strong enough I'd rather chew glass. Which is why I carry around my umbrella at all times. All vampires carry around umbrellas. It only makes sense after all. Though if a vampire sticks to the alleyways they can get through daytime okay. At least this is all true for the vampires in my world. I dunno about your world. My name is Cordell. You say it with a K sound instead of the C so you actually say it as Kordell. But I write it as Cordell. I just like writing a C better. Now I'm going to tell you my story. A story of learning to bond with humanity despite your habit of frequently trying to murder me.
        It unfortunately started with me being an idiot. I snuck into the show of a human professional violinist. A very talented, beautiful woman. Her music was amazing. Spectacular even. It was like her song danced through the air and just tickled my eardrums.
       And all I needed to do was sink my fangs into that neck of hers and that talent would be mine. I dunno about your world but in my mine when vampires drain blood they drain talents and abilities from humans. And I wanted to play the violin badly. That was such a magnificent talent she had.
       I couldn't resist. I leaped onto the stage and bit her neck and began draining blood. I felt a strong surge and I learned everything about it all. I now had her talent. She dropped to the ground crying as she knew she no longer had it. She dropped her violin. In my world vampires are as common knowledge as cats. Everyone knows we exist.
       “Vampire!” People from the audience screamed. Some of them in fear. Several in rage. I heard a few of the voices say, “Get him!” I made such a stupid move. I dashed offstage towards the door glad that none of them had guns. Then I heard a shot. I realized I was wrong and ran even faster. I did manage to escape into the city streets. I opened up my umbrella so the sun wouldn't hurt my skin while I found an alleyway to hide in. The white I wore wouldn't help. Vampires wore white clothes to reflect light more. The reason we don't completely cover ourselves is for the same reasons that many of you wouldn't completely cover yourselves. Plus it would point us as vampires. Also vampires still need sunlight like humans just so much less that we are vulnerable. Sometimes I feel like a snake needing to regulate heat. But I live on the top of a stove.
       I didn't wear all white like some vampires. That would scream “I'm a vampire!” I just wore a thin white jacket. I wore blue pants. Other vampires told me white made my thick black hair pop out. As for pants I just wear simple blue jeans. I never cared about fashion. Usually people notice my bright green eyes anyways. People may not be noticing them anymore because I made the stupid move of stealing a talent in such a public place. I could have several bullets in my head soon enough. But it was such a good one. I'm so stupid. I'm a twenty two year old man not a kid. I shouldn't jump for a talent so easily. I hate being a vampire.
          If you start pitying the violinist your just a typical human. Sure I stole her talent. But she can learn it again. What's stopping her? She did it once she can do it again! I guess there's something else I have to tell you about vampires in my world that is probably different from the vampires in your world. We can't learn things. You know about short term and long term memory? Vampires have short term memory issues. Beyond walking and talking and the simplest of things our short term memory does not save muscular skills and the information needed for talents over long term memory. Teach me how to play the violin for a day. But when I go to bed I will forget all the skills the next day. I could learn an address but I could never learn how to play a sport. I would have to steal the ability to play it. We steal all our abilities out of necessity. We're worse off than children.
         I hid out in the alleyway the entire day. Later I realized I forgot something in violinist's place. A map. The most important map in the world. At least to me. It led to The Diox Cross. That place was a city that served to join many cities. Several crossroads led to it and then a huge port lay on its east side. There's a saying that “destinies and roads cross there”. I think it was a saying come up with by the mayor as a publicity thing. Something so cheesy can't be natural.
        At The Diox Cross was a man with the only talent I truly needed. The talent I needed to save her. I can't let her down. She's done so much for me.



---------
 Tomorrow, Vampiric Talents Episode 2: Cordell Meets The Werewolves
 It should be up 8-9 am MST(No daylight savings time. I live in Arizona) if not earlier if there are no hiccups.

This work is copyright Langdon Kennedy you may share this(email it, print it, post it on your own website, broadcast it etc.) work unaltered as long as you credit me as the author and share a link to this blog with it and it is not for profit. If you have any questions and/or are unclear of these conditions email me at llkenne1@asu.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment