Translate

Thursday, August 9, 2012

#VampiricTalents Episode 4:Cordell Meets Dracula

I'm too sexy for my shirt too sexy for my shirt. So sexy it hurts!”
Benjamin Franklin*


        #vampire! Today is Episode 4 of the Vampiric Talents flash fiction series! Our dear hero Cordell has come far huh? Anyone new to the series please read the previous three episodes. As I've done previous days I've provided blog links just in case you don't use the archive on the side of the blog or scroll down.
(Episode 1)http://langdonflashfictions.blogspot.com/2012/08/todays-flash-fiction-vampiric-talents.html
(Episode 2)http://langdonflashfictions.blogspot.com/2012/08/vampiric-talents-ep-2-cordell-meets.html
(Episode 3)http://langdonflashfictions.blogspot.com/2012/08/vampiric-talents-ep3-cordell-meets.html

Vampiric Talents Episode 4: Cordell Meets Dracula


       “Cordell. I'd like to give you something.” Jennifer told me in a serious tone. while we walked along the road. I had nearly completely recovered from all my wounds from the fight with the vampire hunter. It had been several days after all. Jessica had stopped him before I had gotten more than sunburn and bruises. We were only a few days away from The Diox Cross. The sun was setting. Sunset was the time of vampires. When the sun dipped to the horizon it weakened so we could move without being burned but still could see. We could handle sunlight after all. Just not as much as humans. That's why my umbrella worked. At sunset it was unnecessary and I could move freely like I was in an artificially lit room. But now I could stretch my arms into the sky without fear of the Sun's rays.
      “What do you mean?” I asked her. I wondered what she meant about giving me something. Did she mean the money? She said she already was going to use it to help. Did she mean she wanted me to carry it? She always carried it with her. I offered to carry the suitcase already so she wouldn't have to but she always wanted to. I then wondered if she meant the sandwich she was also carrying that we bought from the last checkpoint. I realized that was a kinda silly thought considering her tone of voice.
She looked at me. “I've put you through so much garbage and I didn't know all the crap all you vampires went through. I mean, I forced you to take me hostage. I got you almost killed by a vampire hunter for crying out loud because I made you look like you took me hostage.”
      I laughed. “Well actually I got the werewolves after me in the first place so I may not have gotten out of town without your little plan. Thanks. And you smacked that hunter good.”
She smiled. “Thanks. But I've been rude at times. And you've been so nice me despite all that. I'd like to give you a talent if you don't mind...”
      I gave her a glare. “Is this out of some new found pity for the vampire condition? Is this just out of pity instead of kindness?” I know she meant well but I almost felt like it was showing me as inferior.
       She stepped back. “No! Well yes...but no. I mean... I'm sorry. I was just never told you had to do it. And I've been told to look down on your kind for so long. And being with you all these days. You're not the monster I imagined. You're more humane than many humans I've met. I honestly thought you were going to blast that vampire hunters head off. But you didn't.” She smiled. “You've just been so cool about everything. I want to make up for all the garbage I put you through. I also want to make up for all the other things I thought about vampires. I mean...I even helped Dad with an anti-vampire propaganda campaign during one of his elections and there was no vampire threat to our town. So that's why I want to give you a talent. To make up for it.”
       I smiled. “You could just give me that sandwich.” I wasn't hungry but I wanted to lighten the mood.
She glared at me. “I'm being serious!” Despite the fact she yelled she couldn't help but chuckle.
I laughed. “Alright. So what talent do you want to give me? Keep it small though. I don't want to take anything too vital from you.”
       She then said to me, “Well you can just bite my neck until you find one you want right? I remember that you found out the vampire hunter could do carpentry. So however you take abilities you must be able to find out what people can do.”
       I then worriedly waved my hand. “No! That could kill you!”
       “What?” She looked at me confused. “Why?”
       I sighed. “Have you ever wondered why someone goes limp after we bite them? It's because we have a paralyzing toxin that we eject from our fangs. We don't bite someone's neck out of necessity its so that they go limp faster. It goes through them better. Then all the chemicals and cells that take talents can be ejected from our fangs and go into you and come back to us and the swap can occur. Too much and it could kill you.”
      “Wait.” Her tin colored eyes focused on my mouth. “You shoot chemicals into people when you bite them?” Her face had a little bit of a disgusted look on it.
      “Yeah.” I hoped my following explanation would make it seem less creepy to her. “All the biology behind it is really, really complicated. There are college courses that teach you the exact specifics. But what happens is that my fangs send chemicals and cells to read the data in your brain. The cells are these bizarre cells that are kinda like immune cells and neurons and there name is really long and complicated and I'm sorry but I don't remember. But anyway those cells go into your brain and latch on and read data in your brain. Then they use the chemicals I shoot in to swap the information completely back. My old cells are left behind but when they finish taking the information they have to alter the passageways in your brain to do it for my chemicals to work. That's why people forget their abilities that are taken. And get woozy even if the toxin doesn't effect them.”
        Jennifer's jaw dropped. “So people's who abilities are taken have vampire cells left inside them?” She gasped a little. “Like that violinist you said you stole a talent from? She has your cells inside her?”
       I shook my head no. “No. Not anymore. The cells die off eventually. The last of mine in her should have died off in her at least a day ago. There's only a small chance there's something left. I bit that hunter for a long time. My cells will probably be in him for a month. If I bite you only a little then my cells will only be in you for a few days tops if I'm careful. But if I were to just bite you forever those cells and chemicals would overload your brain. But trust me if it goes well everything is safe and everything will clear out of your system quickly.” I hoped this past conversation didn't color her opinion of vampires too much.
      She smiled a little awkwardly. “That doesn't sound too bad. Would you like to be able to pick locks? I think it would be good talent to have if some humans or werewolves capture you.” I wondered at first where she had gotten such a talent. Then I decided I'd rather not know. She was right that it would be useful. And I also figured that I should prevent her from using it in the future.
       “Yes.” I smiled. “You're very right.”
       She raised her eyebrow. “You're tone changed quick. You just want to make sure I can't pick locks anymore aren't you? Maybe I should have given you the sandwich. I don't need it anymore anyways. We already got plenty of money. I don't need it for plans like #73. That one blew up right in my face. Broke into our shoddy old fashioned bank, slipped past the cameras and the tuna still didn't work on the vault even though it worked on the vault I practiced on at home.”
       “I thought we were being serious here.” I said to her.
She glared at me. “I was being serious. I'm still a little mad that didn't work. Though now that I think about it I should be happy. If it worked I would have been out of the Carrothole with that bank money and we would have never met. You probably would have been caught by the werewolves or a vampire hunter or whatever and I would still be thinking nasty things about vampires. It's all for the better. So how are you going to bite me?”
       I then said, “Just give me your right arm. You're left handed right?”
       “Right.” She smiled. “Left.” She put her right arm forward.
      “Right.” I grabbed her right arm. I put my fangs into one of her veins. Now when I take a talent I don't know about and experience the cells or the chemicals, just like how when someone does their other biological processes they don't know about cells doing things. Using your fangs is just another process just like moving your arms is to humans so it'll be difficult for me to describe it. Shooting out the paralyzing toxin feels like breathing out along with something I couldn't come up with a metaphor to describe to a human. So I “held my breath” to put in as little as possible. Vampires are able to control the toxin so they can steal from other vampires and vampires have a decent resistance to the vampire toxin. After that I don't actually feel the chemicals or cells. Instead in my head I have this ghostly sensation like I'm having a waking dream where I'm performing the talent I'm taking and then the dream comes to a jarring and often unpleasant stop when I'm done. When searching through a brain the waking dream keeps changing with you changing what your doing. When only taking one talent its a one way street. But when I took the talents of the hunter I passed by, but didn't take, several others while going through his head. With Jennifer I went straight to lock picking so I didn't see any of her other talents.
        And now I know lock picking just as well as she did. I'm surprised at her ability. I don't need to refresh. I don't need to “get used” to the talent. I could walk up to a locked door right now and pick it with the same ability she had. The waking dream is when I learned the talent. And being a waking dream what would have taken her maybe years to master ran through my brain in seconds. I pulled my teeth out.
       “Wow that feels weird. But not too painful...” She looked at her arm. “I should covered these bite marks up! She looked at her limp arm and put pressure on them with two fingers from her good arm after putting down the aluminum suitcase.
        I then told her, “The toxin also relieves a pain a little. The process wants to make sure the target doesn't move too much. The weird feeling will go away.”
         She gasped. “It's true. I can't remember anything about picking locks at all! No matter how hard I try!”
         I frowned. “I'm sorry. But there's no way I can give it back.”
        She then said, “No, no, that's not what I meant! I'm just shocked at the blankness. I'm fine with it, really. I'm glad I gave it to you. I really hope it helps you sometime in the future. I think you'll use it for better things then I did!” She laughed.
       I smiled. “Well in a few days we'll be at the Diox Cross. Maybe even two if nothing goes wrong.” I stretched my arms. I loved sunset. No need for an umbrella. We were going to be at the Diox Cross soon. Everything was going well.
       “Are you Count Edward Genocide?” I heard a voice say.
        Does the Universe hate me or something? I hate that name. It's always, always bad news.
        “No....” I turned around to see a tall, old man, clean shaven, save for a long, white mustache, and clad in black from head to foot, without a single speck of color about him anywhere. He looked exactly like everyone said he would did. I knew exactly who that man was.
        The man glared at me and said, “Funny. You look exactly like all the descriptions Count Genocide.” He looked angry yet somehow sophisticated and collected at the same time. “I'm not the kind of man you want to lie to Count Genocide.”
        My knees shook. “You can't be...are you the legendary Count Dracula?”
        The man replied, “Yes. Yes I am.”
        Jennifer then looked at me. “Count Dracula? Isn't he that famous vampire that people talk about? Like he's the reason that other vampires call themselves Count? I mean that's where I came up with our name...dunno what could be so special about him though.”
       “Jennifer.” I looked at her with the most serious expression I could. I needed to make sure that she didn't joke around this time. “He's the most powerful vampire of them all. He's said to be the vampire with a million talents. He can travel between worlds. I don't mean like that a metaphor or like he moves across the world easily. He can travel dimensions. He's been to other realities. Most people don't even think he exists. I didn't even think he existed. He doesn't age. When you kill him he comes back to life. He's practically a god.”
       Dracula smiled, showing both his fangs. “Thank you for that rather flattering introduction. I do travel worlds.” Dracula shrugged his shoulders. “Ran into a lot of trouble on a place called Earth more than a hundred years back. You sound awfully worried for a powerful vampire such as yourself Count Genocide.”
       “What?” I scratched my head.
        Dracula laughed. “Of course. Not only are you educating the ignorant human, you want to make sure the human doesn't take me lightly.” Dracula looked at the horizon. “Sunset is ending. I may have stolen night vision from bats but I would hate to fight in the dark. Despite rumors I never did like the night. It's only because of my vulnerability to the sunlight just like you.” He then snapped his fingers and a blue ring of fire surrounded the area. “Now you cannot escape and we can see just fine.”
        “Escape? Fight? What? Why?” I tried to gather my thoughts. Why does everyone want me dead?
         Dracula smiled. “It's a simple matter of honor Count Genocide. The Vampiremurderkill family has been a thorn in my side for a very, very, very long amount of time. Tom Vampiremurderkill being one of the largest problems of them all. He has stopped my plans many times and yet you, a vampire from nowhere, just comes out and defeats him. In order to regain my honor I have to kill you.”
        “Crud...” was really all I could say. Dracula rushed me. He was fast. Very fast. Just like my uncle who stole the speed of a cheetah. Dracula must have done the same. But didn't lose an arm. He was probably less drunk when he tried it. I side-stepped and elbowed Dracula in the back. It was a reflex. This reflex was a talent that I had stolen from Tom Vampiremurderkill to make sure he couldn't hunt vampires anymore. I had to take away his ability to fight hand to hand after all. I really wish I had just let him hit me to show him I wasn't that strong. But the talent was a reflex. He must have used it against Dracula before.
        “You stole his fighting talents?” Dracula laughed. “You did steal everything just as he said. However that means I can't hold back. Allow me to show you a talent I really love.” Dracula's eyes began to glow. I didn't quite know what he was doing. Jennifer then ran in and pushed me to the ground. Dracula shot lasers from his eyes.
       “I don't believe it but he actually got that one somehow,” she said. “Can he travel into comic books?” I'm glad Jennifer caught on. I should have.
        “I stole that talent from a dapper young fellow in tights. Stole my regenerative powers from one of his friends. Very angry fellow. That was another Earth. There are multiple versions of worlds. Sometimes with only a fraction of a difference. But they really are different people with their own souls even if they are variations. There's probably another version of those fellows still running around with their powers still fighting crime or whatever. There tend to be a lot more tangents of worlds with superpowers than mundane ones. Fun fact: Visions of other worlds appear in the minds of people. Though the majority of ideas are their own. I wouldn't be surprised if someone had a vision of me in a version of a world at some point and wrote it down in a story or two. Happens with many worlds. Another fun fact: Worlds share properties. Why Earth shares this very language with us. But they call it English instead and there are a few different words here and there. Wow, I really am rambling, sorry about that. Many gentlemen such as myself tend to babble.”
         Both of us scrambled to our feet.
        “I give up...” I told him.
         Dracula then said, “Don't insult me, I won't lower my guard.” His eyes then lit up. I looked at Jennifer. I hoped she wouldn't miss me. Honestly even if I dodged this one he'd keep going until I lost. I then remembered one thing about Dracula. And one thing about the sandwich from the checkpoint.
       “Jennifer! Throw the sandwich right at his face! Don't think about it just do it!” I pointed right at Dracula and Jennifer followed my order. I think she had done so many odd things herself anything made sense to her.
       “Oh for the love of!” Dracula started howling in pain as soon as the bread from the sandwich hit him. All its seasoning fell all over him Crumbs from it fell on his hand. He swelled up like the sunlight had hit him but worse. He held his face and screamed.
         I breathed a sigh of relief. “Yes! The rumors were right! You are deathly allergic to garlic!” And for once I was lucky in this insane trip. Lucky that Jennifer had a taste for garlic bread sandwiches.
Dracula fell to the ground. “Now what are you going to do to me? Finish me off with your fire breath or your ancient martial arts?”
       “What?” I looked at him. “I can't do any of that.”
        Dracula then responded, still writhing in garlic induced pain, “But Tom told me the entire tale of how he was defeated by you. I recently went to him in a bid to finish him in another battle. I decided not to since his powers were gone and there was no satisfaction in that. Which is why I went after you. You have to have had all that to have beaten him where I had failed. After all without amazing powers how did you fight back against hails of bullets or his own fighting powers that you now possess?”
        Jennifer laughed. “No. We just sucker punched him.”
        Dracula pulled his hands away from his face and looked at Jennifer. “What do you mean?” His voice sounded sad and curious at the same time.
        She smiled. “We were both pretty pathetic really. I first played the part of a timid girl. He then lowered his guard and I smacked him with that suitcase there. BAM! When he was out we took his weapons. Next thing he knew he had his own shotgun pointed at him.”
        Dracula laughed. And kept laughing. “He's that much of an idiot? I wasn't years getting shot and blasted to pieces by that man, reincarnating and regenerating, when all I had to do was pull a stupid trick like that?” Dracula's laughter started to get a little crazy. “I...I need to go home now. Need to let this sink in.” Dracula transformed into a bat and the blue fire he summoned to light up our fight vanished. He flew off.
      “That was...weird.” I watched him. I wasn't sure exactly where someone would get a talent like that. What kinds of worlds has Dracula traveled to? Perhaps it would be better for me not to know.
        Jennifer chuckled. “Eh. The aftermath of plan #98 was much weirder. Like the others it didn't succeed in the end. But it really didn't get weird until I finally managed to get those stupid horses off the armored truck half full of mayonnaise. And the supermodels inside wouldn't stop playing in the mayonnaise. I told them they had to wait. If everyone did what they were supposed to it could have worked and the payoff would have been ten times what was in this suitcase. If only we had managed to get to the church...”
       “Jennifer.” I put my hand on her shoulder. “I'm not in the mood. I almost got murdered. Again. Could we just walk to the next checkpoint? Please?”
       She then said to me in a slightly sad tone, “Why do I get the feeling you're not taking me seriously?”



Tomorrow: Vampiric Talents Episode 5: Cordell Meets The Full Moon

Author Comment: The description of Dracula was not actually written by me. It's the original description of Dracula from the original Dracula novel. The only things I did was change some of the British spellings of words to American spellings to make sure that you readers wouldn't trip up on the fact that I changed the spelling style. I also added commas to conform to how I punctuate. (At least when I don't mess up!) Bonus points to anyone who caught that before reading this comment!
Here is the original description without any of my changes.
a tall old man, clean shaven save for a long white moustache, and clad in black from head to foot, without a single speck of colour about him anywhere

This work is copyright Langdon Kennedy you may share this(email it, print it, post it on your own website, broadcast it etc.) work unaltered as long as you credit me as the author and share a link to this blog with it and it is not for profit. If you have any questions and/or are unclear of these conditions email me at llkenne1@asu.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment