Translate

Monday, August 27, 2012

Today's #Scifi #fantasy flash fiction #WhyDoTheGoblinsEvenBother?

“Shotgun!”
Neil Armstrong*


      Today I contemplated the secrets of the universe. Besides figuring out the meaning of life I also deduced that mixing orange juice and peanut butter would probably taste bad. Anyway onto the flash fiction!


Why Do The Goblins Even Bother?

      2000 dragon riders, 3000 pegasus riders, 1500 wizards and 20,000 footmen along with a 500 dark knights for good measure. Those are my forces. The enemy numbers are under 10,000. Primarly footmen with maybe five hundred wizards haphazardly mixed in. My land calls the doomed goblins because goblins are one of the weakest magical creatures. They are on the bottom of the food chain. Their souls and bodies are used in magical spells. They are resources That's what makes them appropriate names for people to be conquered.
    I laughed. Why do the goblins even bother to resist. Stupid people. I could already see my forces advancing. In moments the slaughter would occur. The enemy hadn't fled...were they here out of honor? I hoped they wouldn't surrender. A more bloody battle would give me a better reputation. Such small forces. And I was just a few miles to their king's castle. I had brought so many forces. I assumed I met so little forces before now because they were saving up for a final battle here. This would be a nice, easy take over and all this kingdom's wealth would be mine without a single hitch. There couldn't be another army after this one so I had already won.
    “Hello king.” a voice said to me from behind. “Don't bother trying to talk. The poison in that drink of yours should have already paralyzed your vocal chords.” I turned around to see a man cloaked in green with elaborate golden patterns stitched into it. I knew that cloak design. It was the design of the Eastern Alchemists. “Normally I wouldn't speak to my targets but my employer specifically requested that I do so to deliver a message. My employer is the owner of that castle you intend to take. He wanted me to tell you that he is long gone and the castle is empty. He wanted me to tell you that none of the wizards in the army in front of you are trained in combat and only in transportation magic. They will warp away his entire army. He also said that he has forged an alliance with all the lands conquered by you and oppressed by you...every single one of the resistances. He has also forged alliances with your enemies. He said that while you have foolishly spread your armies across his kingdom he gathered those and prepared an attack. He wanted you to know that your land will be carved up and distributed, the people given new homes with kinder nobles while your corrupt sons who know nothing of ruling and warfare because you merely spoon fed them put up a futile fight making your family look weak and pathetic in its final legacy. He told me that this was all done because you chose to oppress and conquer so many people and every time you didn't make an absolute slaughter you would dishonorably assassinate the opposition.” The Alchemist laughed at me. “He said that he's assassinating you to pay back for your assassination of his father all those years ago just because his father wouldn't send you tribute. He wants you to die knowing that this battle will end with your army standing stupidly around without orders as your kingdom falls. Any king's gold is as good as any others but I am glad as any other.”
     I fell to the ground. My breath started to weaken.
     “Oh!” The Alchemist said. “Another thing. He said that he knows that in your land they call the weak and doomed goblins. So he told me to specifically tell you he says 'Goodbye goblin.'”
      I think the Alchemist said something else but my hearing faded, then my eyesight...then my heartbeat...

No comments:

Post a Comment