Translate

Friday, August 31, 2012

Today's short story #AnythingAndEverythingCanMatter

“Who's on first?”
Babe Ruth*


       Well my friend CJ is going to come over tomorrow. I'm also going to go to my anime club tonight. We're going to be making these Japanese doll things. I don't know what they're supposed to look like but the club person said that they were going to be cute. Even though she said that knowing my crafting skills it'll come out an abomination. A cute abomination. But an abomination nonetheless. I like abominations though. Like Cthulhu! He's one of my bestest friends. We play charades from time to time. Anyway onto the flash fiction!



Anything and Everything Can Matter


      Hello, my name is Jennifer and right now I am playing a match in my favorite video game “League of Space Wars”. LSW for short. And this three round match is one of the most important moments of my life.
       I bet you're thinking “How could something like a video game be so important?” Well think of what makes football important or any professional sport for any matter. Even though they may have many more years of history than video games. Even though you may say they are “better” because they require athleticism there is one detail. They are still a game. No matter what sport you pick it's just a game where once it's all over the field is just the same as it was yesterday with perhaps a few skid marks from what the players did before. A game just like video games.
      But sports are very important. Why? The answer is simple. The money. It's entertainment that generates so much money. Though the players may love it to some degree it is also their source of income. When they are on the field they aren't just playing for fun...they're playing for their livelihood. So in a way it has evolved beyond simple fun for them despite the fact it is a game. So the game is still a game but so much more.
      And the match I am playing right now? It's at a tournament and that ever so valuable money is on the line. We're in between rounds right now but people are chattering about the $50,000 cash prize. You may think $50,000 couldn't possibly be the most important moment of my life especially since I split it among my team but it's all a chain. You should know how fame works...once I win this my team will get invited and allowed into bigger tournaments and the money will keep coming in. Heck we'll get sponsors and we'll be wearing their logos on our shirts like NASCAR drivers. (Not nearly as much revenue though sadly...) That's how it all works.
       So this match is much more important than the ones sitting on the couch with my brothers. It is much more important than the ones playing against the immature twelve-year-olds cursing in their squeaky voices. It's more important than the practice with my friends. The only thing nearly as close to important were the ones that qualified us for this final match and the ones at lesser tournaments that got us lower cash prizes. You have to spend hours and hours and hours practicing these games with your team to play to stand a chance against other professional players. Just like someone at sports.
       The last round has begun and our scores are tied. It's the first team to 10 kills that wins. With every single headshot either I or one of my teammates gets I see the cash prize get closer. Though considering how much work I put into this I consider it my paycheck. And I bet that's what people see when they play professional sports see. Because they aren't playing for fun or the honor of sports. They are playing to pay for their meals, house, fancy cars, house or whatever else they want...they may make less if they're lower on the ladder. Anyway, I doubt they're playing for the sake of the game. They want that wonderful check. And I understand. Everybody has to eat.
     We're up to 9 kills and the other team has 7 on us. We're in the lead but my palms are sweaty. I'm right behind the other guy. Just a few more button presses and the 50 grand is mine. Well our teams but soon we'll be winning tournament after tournament and even branching out into other games possibly if we can muster the time. A few more moments and I can get a head shot. Idiot won't know what hit him.
      Then I drop the #$*$&%& controller.
      My palms had gotten so sweaty and I leaned to far forward...even then it should have been impossible. Even then these things are made out of freakin' plastic. They shouldn't “slip”. I scrambled for it between the seats. The crowd was chattering about it while I heard myself getting shot. I mumbled several curses. A few I didn't know I knew. As I respawned I heard another shot. I looked up at the scores. We were now even with the enemy.
       I couldn't play conservatively as I usually did. I knew Jeremy. Usually our best with the machine gun he was good at getting himself killed and he's probably the one who gave the enemy the kill to 9. I'd hate to be a hypocrite getting made at him for dying since I got killed myself but I had only been killed twice through the match but he had died so much more. But he was responsible for several of their deaths. He's our glass cannon really.
       But now I had to take on that role. Especially since I just respawned next to our team's weapon reserves. I picked up all of our grenades. We were on our last kill so really risks didn't matter much anymore. As long as they died first it didn't matter if I died too.
       “I'm going to do the raging monkey!” I yelled to my teammates. We didn't care how stupid or silly it sounded we always came up with bizarre code words for what we were going to do so we could disguise what we were going to do from the other team. My team mates spread away while I ran to the enemies and wildly threw the grenades at them. We came up with the nickname “raging monkey” comparing it to a monkey throwing it's poop. Okay, don't blame me, I didn't come up with the nickname. It was Sarah our immature yet brilliant sniper.
        The match ended with my raging monkey maneuver scoring the final kill. The fifty thousand dollars was ours. We split up the money, some of it going to travel expenses. Sponsors loved us because of the raging monkey bit and me dropping the controller and still winning(underdog/twist moment anyone, it made me seem less skilled than I actually was) The enemy team said “Good game.” with disdain in their voice. After all they wanted the money as well, and they were so close.
       And as I predicted time followed and we went to more tournaments and made more money. We haven't become as rich a sportsman we don't win everything and not as much money is on the line in video game tournaments. As time went on I started see less of a game and more and more of a paycheck. I wonder if I'm right in my thinking that's how the professional sportsman see it all. I doubt they'd ever admit it though. But I'll say it right here. When there's money in something it completely changes what that thing is. It can go from a game I simply played with friends to something that's now my job. No matter how much I rub my eyes I don't see much of a game anymore...I'm seeing a paycheck.


Author Comment: I don't really agree with this character. Though I do believe that money changes people's perspectives on things a great deal I also believe that some people participate in these tournaments and professional sports for the sheer love of whatever they do and the money is just a lovely, awesome bonus instead of "a paycheck" if they manage to get it. (But I think some people treat it as just a job too.)

--------

On a fun side note there are paper airplane tournaments. They are pure awesome with people using specific paper and only folding to attain amazing feats of flying. http://www.redbullpaperwings.com/en/information/infopointOfficial World Record holder in this discipline is Stephen Krieger (USA, 2003) with 63.19 m/ 207 ft 4 inch.”
Something so simple has been elevated to sheer awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment