Translate

Friday, August 17, 2012

Today's short story #WhatIsReality?

“Its black gates are guarded by more than just orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand men could you do this. It is folly.”
Pee-Wee's Playhouse*


      Over the past few weeks I've begun watching Dr. Who every morning. Though I don't really know too much about what's going on. I have a fairly interesting perspective on the show. I get up and get my breakfast ready and with the timing of commercials I have only ever gotten the last 11-15 minutes of the episode that's on when I finally start eating breakfast. Seriously, I have never ever seen a single episode of the show from the start to the finish. I'm in a perpetual state of getting a show out of context towards the climax so nothing makes sense. So here's how I see Dr. Who:
      Everyone's lives are always miserable. There are always bad things happening. The happy parts must be in the earlier parts of the episode because I only see them being chased by monsters or attacked whatever else or in the middle of whatever disaster is in the episode. I saw zombies. Also moving angel statues. Tanks that I first thought were piloted though apparently were sentient or something. Monster robot sphere things that shoot spikes. Giant rambling eyeballs in the sky. A long eel monster from the ceiling that a stupid officer wouldn't listen to Dr. Who about. (I'm paraphasing) Doctor: “Don't go in there! There's a monster!” Officer: “Duh, I'll go in there anyway!” It was really funny since that was actually the joke, kinda parodying that stupid horror movie jargon. And they wind up in the weirdest places too. I was just like okay gonna watch Dr. Who...and now we're in a hospital on the moon!
        I'm just loving all this out of context goodness I'm getting. It probably makes perfect sense from the start. I was thinking of perhaps trying to watch the series normally from earlier seasons and the start of episodes but considering how much there is I don't think I have the time to catch up with the series and keep up with reading and writing and stuff. Perhaps I'll just keep up with my out of context goodness. I really don't know any of the character names though besides the titular “Doctor”. He is the main character of course. I notice that during the climatic parts that I fall into they are either yelling at him for help “Doctor!” or yelling at him in concern and fear for his safety “Doctor!” since Dr. Who seems to habitually get himself into situations where he's about to get murdered. It's a cool show and seeing it out of context makes it fun in a special way. Maybe I'll watch it normally some day.
Anyway onto the flash fiction!



What is Reality?


       My name is Sarah. I'm one of those people that they keep in a padded cell. It's for any of the times I throw my fits. I can only talk to people over the microphone in the room and people send me food through slots. I throw fits whenever I see people normally. I hit them hard. My doctor says its something to do with me seeing faces. So I'm not an angry person. The doctor's thinking of having me meet people while they wear masks. I think it's a good idea. Hopefully it'll work.
      I'm not sure if he's real though. I just hear him over the mic. Everybody over the mic could be an actor after all, like those movies with the lying societies. If I'm a crazy person then is any of this real? I get my food from a slot given to me by a crazy man. They give me vitamin D tablets because I don't get sun because of the cell. I don't go outside so what is real? All I have is this cell. I don't get to have TV because that has people's faces. Everything has people's faces. They only give me plush toys without faces to play with and I have to talk to people over the mic. Nothing can be real can it? All I can do is play pretend with the toys. I didn't always have this condition. I started having it when I was around ten. So I can remember people and being able to talk with them. But now I've got nothing. Nothing real that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment