Translate

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Today's #Scifi #fantasy short story #TheMagicBomb

“A Long Time Ago, in a Galaxy Far Far Away...”
A Game of Thrones*

      Been reading A Game of Thrones today. Clocked into page 214. Didn't just read it, still had to write the story. It's said that to become a better writer you have to read and I believe you have to write too, a lot(hence this blog) but I've been skimping on the reading a bit because of it. I do I hope I learn a great deal by reading George Martin's book. You know, see his style of writing, and learn by seeing how he structures storytelling and how he made things work. It's a long book though, sad I had to take a nap because one of my meds caused me to have a tired spell(that's one of my side effects, my doctor is working to get my off of it) and if I get tired my seizures go way up. I had like thirty-something when it happened while I working on going to sleep. Hopefully I won't have that problem and can clock in more pages tomorrow. Anyway onto the flash fiction!


The Magic Bomb

       The magic bomb was going to go off. If it did the entire city would be hit with some spell. I didn't know what. I was the only one in the magic bomb squad close enough to get to it in time. The runes have already gone red. Probably only seconds till detonation. These were in a very, very old language. I couldn't read it and I doubt my coworkers or half the wizards in the city could. There was no hope...I couldn't defuse this bomb. And I could tell from the green runes on the side is that it was made to go off if it detected the use of any advanced technology like cellphones. I wasn't going to go down as the heroic man who stopped the arcane magic bomb. I was going to be remembered as the man who couldn't stop the magic bomb and save the city from disaster. I know how it goes. I'll be dead and half the people will blame me for not stopping it? Maybe the presses will have the mercy of only blaming the bomb and leave me as some sort of hero. A hero who couldn't do his job.
The bomb went off.
Confetti flew everywhere.
         Not just a little. When the bomb went off a flash of light lead to massive clouds of confetti covering the streets of the entire city. It was early in the morning and just before rush hour. I doubt anybody had or would be hurt. Though cleanup would probably cost thousands. And it would keep costing thousands and even more incidents would come. How did I know? This wasn't the first time. Ten years ago this had happened. This was the work of the Party Wizard. It seems he had escaped from the insane asylum and was on the loose again. And I would be the poor man who had to tell the tale of seeing the first magic bomb of his after ten years of imprisonment. And the confetti bombs were not the worse. He had bombs that turned things into cakes or pigeons. His insanity knew no bounds. He could annoy millions with his magic bombs that used arcane magic. And I would not be remembered as a hero or a martyr but a man who was at the start of his second reign of annoying terror.

This work is copyright Langdon Kennedy you may share this(email it, print it, post it on your own website, broadcast it etc.) work unaltered as long as you credit me as the author and share a link to this blog with it and it is not for profit. If you have any questions and/or are unclear of these conditions email me at llkenne1@asu.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment