Translate

Monday, October 15, 2012

Today's flash fiction #BalanceOfLoyalty

“We gotta find the next paw print-- and that's our second clue!”
Sherlock Holmes*


     Along with contemplation of my book from points CJ brought up I continued to play the lovable joy that is Pokemon.



Balance of Loyalty


     I've been loyal to my king for a very long time. He's a good man. He works for his kingdom and his people. His worst sin really is mostly spending tax money to decorate the castle and the nobility more than is needed for impressing ambassadors from other nations(you do have to make yourself look wealthy, otherwise other countries will think you are poor and weak). He also eats fancier than he needs to.
     Well for a long time that was the case. But one day he committed a mass slaughter of a village who voiced against him. He brought swords to a village complaining about a tax. That's it. The thing is he had grown old, senile, and maddened from an illness. His children largely took over, but by chance he snapped at the village an used powers he almost forgot about in his old age.
     My true dilemma is this. I am the royal historian and librarian. The entire existence of this event is up to me. It has been ordered to not be recorded by the sons of the king. They are ashamed of their father's actions and ordered it censored. But I have the power to tuck it away in the archives for future generations to discover without the sons knowing.
      As a historian I desire to record the truth. I've worked hard to keep everything accurate. But my now my loyalties are questioned. Loyalty to the truth and loyalty to the king. And a regard to my own safety should my action be discovered.
     It took me much thought. I decided not to put the event in the archives. Not for my safety not out of my loyalty to the royal family. But rather out of my desire to give a good example. My king is a good one. But if there is a moment of madness it would throw him into a dark light and people would not want to emulate him. I want him to be a hero. I need him to be a hero. So I won't record this act. I'll erase it. Censor it and shut it down. The entire event will be gone from all of history and as soon as it is gone from memory, where I am dead and everyone who knew of it is dead, then my king will forever be the hero that people need as an example.
      Yes, that is what I must do.

No comments:

Post a Comment