Translate

Friday, October 19, 2012

Today's #Scifi #fantasy flash fiction #ThePreservedKing

“All for one and one for all.”
The Borg, Star Trek: First Contact


      Worked on me book and went to a family gathering. Also finished sprucing up my epic Pokemon team for the epic Pokemon battles I will have with my friend this weekend if he comes over as planned. I can see it now. We meet on the mountaintops. A storm looms in the distance. Its loud thunder is an omen for the battle. But an omen for who? Who will be the victor? Or is it an omen for us both?
Anyway onto the flash fiction!


The Preserved King

      Today I obtained the elixir of life. A potion that granted me immortality to everything but being sunk to the bottom of the ocean. I would be still alive at the bottom of the ocean I suppose. But under the darkness of the waves would be close enough to death wouldn't it?
      The elixir got to me safely for several reasons. One was because the price I paid for it. A hefty sum of gold. I am a very rich king of a very rich man. Second was the threat of torture should someone betray the agreement to bring the elixir to me. Third was the curse on the elixir. The price of immortality would be a curse that came along with it. A curse of insanity. I could see that for a normal man or woman being immortal and seeing those around them age and die away would bring insanity. I wouldn't have that problem.    Everyone has been disposable to me. My parents died young and I was shuffled around the nobles to be manipulated until I grew old enough to control the throne on my own. People are already seasonal for me.
        The bottle containing the elixir of life was glass. Like a wine bottle. One my knights told me that the witch who they got it from said that whoever drank it would have “everything of them preserved” the knight cautioned me when he said the witch had a wicked smile. I heard enough fairy tales to know that witches with wicked smiles was a bad sign. But I feared death enough to not care.
        After taking the elixir I noticed it tasted like nothing I could describe but afterward I knew I wasn't stupid enough to test it. But I didn't need to. A month later one of the many assassination attempts against me happened(one of the downsides of being a wealthy king) and when the arrow hit me in the heart, I felt incredible pain, but in seconds it was pushed out on its own. Like I was some sort of pillow. On later test after capturing the assassin we tested the arrow and saw it pieced the flesh of an animal easily. Shortly after arrogance had me go into battle with my soldiers and fortune had a sword of the enemy bounce off my neck. I had become immortal.
       I soon noticed a side effect. I was remembering not only all my dreams, but also every single moment of every single day. At first it didn't happen fully. But I soon could recollect every detail of every day. Ask me what happened at noon yesterday and I could remember. Ask me how much dust was on the table at noon and I could remember. I remembered everything and could go back through my memories and get it. Everything lodged itself in my brain, no matter the significance. I remembered everything exactly so you could ask me the exact minute because with my perfect memory I could figure out the time just by remembering one point of time in the day I looked at a clock and count forward until the moment you asked for.
I now know what the witch meant by “everything of them preserved”
      But it didn't harm me. Days were nearly the same for me when I didn't remember everything so what difference did it make? Every night was the same, as well as every knight, the pun meaning that all those soldiers beneath me were as nondescript as the others. The nobles all tried to manipulate me for their own ends. Sometimes I listened, sometimes I didn't. No assassinations could take me out and I would outlive them all so I just followed my whim.
      But eventually the curse of immortality hit me. It wasn't through a loved one being lost. It had been through the acts of a mere peasant He could read and write and was part of his class through birth and the most educated in his village as I learned.
       The day I met him he came to me as a messenger from a far off kingdom and gave me a long list of terrible crimes and events. Things he had said happened to his people because of the nobility of his land and he had come to my kingdom to plead for my help and liberation from that kingdom. I considered it, I thought becoming a hero would be a good change of pace and this kind of request was unusual, the peasant was desperate looking and came in during a dinner with the rest of my kingdoms nobility.
      I spent the entire dinner speaking with him about his woes and sympathizing with his strife and hearing his tales of misery and the tales of misery of his fellow people. All of the nobility joined in on the discussion. I never had the strings of my old heart pulled like that before. By this time I was two hundred and fifty years old.
       But at the end of his tales the peasant revealed his true intentions. He was not from a far away kingdom at all. He was from this one. And these acts were all of my doing at my fault. He revealed the few things he changed to disguise their happenings, the dates, and the fact that the things that didn't happen over his generation had been over my history. Everything I nearly cried over had been my doing. He said he knew I remembered everything so he knew that I would remember every bit of guilt I had “if my cold heart had any guilt” and that would be his revenge.
         In rage for his deception I ordered him to execution and since then I never stopped regretting it. The guilt now drives me forward to do good, but the peasant got his revenge, as it drives me forward painfully. I now rule my kingdom as an immortal guilt ridden king. I am also considering dropping myself into the darkness of the ocean so that I may at least get close to death.

No comments:

Post a Comment