Translate

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Today's #flashfiction #SellingMoney

“Think outside the box.”
Schrödinger's Cat*


       Today I worked on my book, writing many a page. I am sad however that there was no writers meeting as I thought there would be. Awwww....
Anyway onto the flash fiction!


Selling Money


      “We don't accept anything but currency codified by united magical worlds. And a human dollar isn't one of them.” The pawn shop owner looked at the short goblin at the counter. The pawn shop owner was new to the pawn business, but he felt offended that someone would think he would be stupid enough to consider a human dollar as currency.
        “No Sir, I'm not using this as currency!” The goblin smiled at the pawn shop owner. He didn't want to severely anger the owner, considering the owner was a very large demon. “I'm selling it as an artifact.”
        “What?” The owner looked at the goblin baffled.
        “Just like any money taken out of circulation it can grow into being a historical artifact. And you know how hard it is to get human items. This isn't money now, its history.” The human world had been devastated and the country that printed the dollar couldn't do it anymore.
       The owner thought for a moment. He saw the logic. He was really new to the business so he didn't know many appraisers to look at it. He couldn't make a split second decision on it.
      “Where'd you get it?” The owner found it suspicious that the goblin had only a single dollar and not any more human money. If the goblin got human money from somewhere he may not have had such a simple value. He may have just forged a single bill.
       “Great-great-great grandpa was a shape shifter who lived in the human world. This was tucked in the back of his wallet. I already sold the other contents to collectors like the credit cards but I couldn't find anybody near where I lived who wanted the dollar.”
        “Ten magicui.”
         “That little?” The goblin looked perplex.
         The pawn shop owner shrugged. “I'm taking the risk. That's what my gut told me since I don't have an appraiser yet. Take it or leave it.”
         “Um, I was expecting more.”
         “Fifteen enough?” The pawn shop owner then tapped the table. “That's all the way up I'm going to go and don't ask me for anything more.” He glared at the goblin, thinking that intimidation would bring him over. And he was fine with it. Honor in negotiation didn't come easily to a demon.
         “A-alright.” Without thinking much about his own gut instinct or research the goblin accepted the fifteen magicui as payment and gave up his historical human artifact. Later, with a bit of work, the pawn shop owner managed to sell the dollar for a thousand magicui.

No comments:

Post a Comment