Translate

Friday, May 3, 2013

Today's #flashfiction #TheGoblinAndHisVillage

“This. Is. SPARTA!”
Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?* #quote


      Well CJ's coming over today, maybe we'll do something of significance to humankind though that is very unlikely. OR WILL WE? Anyway onto the flash fiction!




The Goblin And His Village



        The beast stood twice my height covered in steel armor that gave off a sinister yet beautiful shine. Each step landed with a loud, terrifying slam that shredded through the dirt. Humans. I envied their frightening weaponry as it declared its dominance pulling its huge sword from its hilt and waving it in air. I knew they fought dragons sometimes and because of our size difference I wondered if this is how they felt when they fought them. But they chose to challenge dragons, we didn't challenge humans, they came after us. Why would Goblins, one fourth the size, with only cloth clothes and spears, and weaker magic try to fight much more powerful beings?
      But they wanted to fight us. Loot our villages. Part of there “adventuring” I hear. Before they could take on larger creatures like dragons they needed to take on us. I guess we were practice. An excuse to get rid of the competition for resources?
       I can imagine what they say to the human shepards back in their villages. “Oh look! We've 'saved' the sheep the goblins were taking 'hostage' as part of our 'quest'. It is has served to give us more 'experience' to fight the stronger 'monsters' plaguing the land.” I wouldn't debate the problems zombies cause the land but killing us for the ten sheep our village uses is inexcusable. And that's all our people needs considering we're one fourth the human's size.
      I'm glad I've been able to distract myself from the human in front of me. It's marching into the village with pride and power. It's even more terrifying that it isn't some starting adventurer but a more experienced one. But maybe that will make the slaughter quicker. I felt a glimmer of hope but I noticed the human brought two others: A wizard and an archer. The wizard wore extravagant blue robes that brushed the ground and a massive, pointy, large-rimmed hat. He waved around a wood wand with a diamond tip. The archer's hat looked as pointy as the wizard's hat but didn't have a rim. It looked more cap-like. Most of his clothes were a strong leather and his bow looked almost like a crescent moon.
      The human's huge size made every part of me feel smaller. My pointy nose felt smaller. My blue painted cloth clothes felt tighter and tinier. My red, flat hat felt like it must have been the size of one of their coins. My green skin got a bit more pale as they advanced into the village and I assumed everyone else in my village did. It's said that once humans get close enough to fight you don't run because then that just inspires them fight you. I missed my chance long ago.
      “Think the monsters's got any loot?” The knight asked the archer.
      “Well the profit from their clothes could add up to maybe getting us enough money to buy armor. Mr.   Magic here can break down stuff into more raw things to sell back at town. Yeah, at least their clothes can be sold and their sheep. Maybe their sick jewelry. Probably something for their twisted religion.”
The wizard thought for a moment. “Well if we kill all the monsters for the nearby necromancer's guild they can use their parts for their zombies. That could really get us money for our quest. And goblins are smart enough of a monster class to have some magical artifacts so if we look we may totems or artifacts or some magical items. So don't burn anything down with your fire arrows like you did the last one.”
      “You will do our village no harm!” Our own town wizard revealed himself along with the town guard, a measly five troops. They're mostly for when the giant spiders attack or an ogre. The wizard is skilled. Though I don't think he could take on this human party. The town wizard wore green cloth clothes rather than the blue I did. The troops wore yellow. Everyone held a spear because of the giant spiders and need to hunt. At least when we aren't farming. “Humans leave now!”
       The knight laughed. “And what are you going to do about it? You the warrior chieftain or something?”
Our wizard glared at the knight. “We have a mayor. And I am the town wizard, leader of the town guard. Now begone! I wish to avoid conflict.”
      The human wizard smiled. “Looks like the loot walked straight up to us. Don't know why the wizard's carrying a spear, but he's probably got something on him. Take care of them and we'll check the bodies. Don't want to waste my spells.”
      The human raised his sword and swung it down at the wizard. A barrier appeared over our town guard. Our town was small. It didn't have much magic in it. Actually the wizard just had a special belt passed down through generations that protected him and those around him that he knew how to control. And he worked to teach his successor to control, but he had yet to take on an apprentice. The knight kept hitting the barrier with the town guard safe.
      “As you can see we are safe,” The wizard said.
      “Bah.” The human wizard groaned. “A locked barrier spell? You can't even throw your spears out at us. A nuisance. With a few waves of my wand I'll dispel it.”
       When the wizard waved his wand I realized I could have started running. Many people could have. Well sneaking away. But too many were afraid to think of that. I could do that. The humans would probably give me plenty of time to do that while they took care of the town guard. But instead I did something incredibly stupid. I threw my spear at the wizard, and I hit him right in the gut.
      The wizard screamed, then stumbled, next dropping his wand while crumpling his arm. “One their commoners had the courage to attack? They never have the courage to attack.”
      Without hesitation their archer shot me. I fell to the ground. But I smiled. The human underestimated me. I got him close to the heart. Did they have healing potions? Didn't look like it. I think the wizard healed and they got cocky. Heh. I think I killed their wizard. I see him dying. But I think I'm dying. I feel like I'm dying. Will the humans will rush back to town to save their wizard. Will they come back to take their revenge? They're running away. I see them running away. Oh, oh it hurts. It hurts. I don't think they're going to come back. They may think it's to risky. I hope they think it's too risky. Then everyone will be safe. Agh...I'm not bleeding much...but I think...the archer has poison arrows. Everything's going dark. Oh, no. That's what all the stories say when someone dies...I guess...that's what's...happening...at least the village is safe...

No comments:

Post a Comment