Translate

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Today's #flashfiction #TheVillagersAndTheAdventurers

“It's the little things that matter.”
Papa Smurf* #quote


       Today I ate Taco Bell for lunch and then Jack in The Box at dinner. Also I met an alien, but that's not very interesting. Anyway onto the flash fiction!



The Villagers And The Adventurers


      “We're packing up. We're leaving. We're going. Now!” Mr. Valon yelled at his family. He never yelled at his family except from across the fields to tell them dinner was ready or they had company.
Mrs. Valon yelled back at him, “You've already put almost everything we own in the wagon without asking me! We're you planning on forcing us to leave without asking?”
      “I'm not forcing us to leave! We have to go! Don't talk to me like it's my fault!”
      “Daddy? Why are you taking everything out from the house?” Teresa, the youngest child in the family, asked with a confused tone.
       Sheldon, the middle child remarked, “It's because he doesn't have any faith in the great adventurers. They've done so much, why don't you have faith in them?”
      “Faith? Don't you see the storm outside the window? That lighting? It's not natural! You all know its magic. Caused by that wizard. That dark wizard. And do you trust those adventurers are going to kill that wizard. Make the problem go away? What have they done to prove themselves.”
       Reggie, the oldest child then said, “They helped this village by killing the dragon in the mountains that kept stealing our sheep. They even brought yours home to you. Don't you remember when they visited our house?”
        Mr. Valon wondered if that's why his family wouldn't think straight. If they were impressed by those adventurers. The knight, bard, wizard, ninja, and werewolf. They appeared at their house and showed off their power by kindly giving the sheep they took back from the dragon. The powerful dragon. But is a dragon reason to believe they could defeat a dark wizard? No.
       “Reggie, get the item out of that old red chest over there. I haven't shown it to you before. It was something I had before I met your mother. It'll show you my authority on adventurers.”
The eldest son pulled out the item, an old enchanted sword. It glowed brightly without rust despite its age. The magic contained in its runes kept away that rust and gave it the glow expected from water bathed in sun.
       “You've had this? For this long?”
        “With my own adventuring party I've killed twenty dragons and gone on far grander adventurers than those idiots that are going against that dark wizard. The reason that chest was buried under everything else I've been moving out of the house and the reason I never told you was so you'd never do something as stupid and dangerous as what I've done.”
        “Incredible,” said Sheldon overwhelmed as all his life he thought his father a turtle of a man. Without the enchanted sword he wouldn't believe a word he said.
        “Stop with your fascination! I fought a dark wizard like those idiots with my adventuring party. Yeah, I guess we saved people. But I'm the last man standing. And I'm pretty sure we got lucky. And I'm not risking my family to luck. I don't care how many of you are attached to this house. We are packing up and we are leaving.”
         So they packed and left on their wagon. But before they could leave town the dark storm of magic subsided. The children grinned. They were happy since that meant the heroes must have been victorious. Mr. Valon turned the wagon around and they returned home but a man half covered in armor and half covered in wounds looked at them.
         “H-help me.” The knight that leaded the adventurers held his hand out to them. They brought him into their house and Mr. Valon used some of his old adventurer knowledge on patching up injuries to help bring the adventurer to health.
       “You kill the dark wizard right?” He asked the knight.
       “Yes. You people can rest safe.”
      “Yeah. We figured with the magic storm gone we rushed home.” Mr. Valon said, “But let me guess. You're the only one left.”
      “Yes.”
        Mr. Valon looked at the adventurer while his family stood behind him. “Here's my advice. The pain of their loss will never go away. You're only option is to find happiness.”

No comments:

Post a Comment