Translate

Monday, May 27, 2013

Today's #flashfiction #WorkingOutWork

“Let me hold that for you.”
Atlas* #quote



Today I'm posting this early in the morning so I haven't done anything yet besides write this.




Working Out Work



          “Belle, I'm reading about the strangest thing on Internet.” I scrolled through the webpage on my table while one of my robot servants brought me a drink. I leaned back in my recliner and took a sip. “Apparently a century ago people used to get these things called jobs.”
         “What's a job? I never heard of it,” replied my wife. “When do you get them?”
         “When you're an adult I guess, or a bit younger at 16. Well depending on where you lived in the world.”
         “What!? Harold! We're both in our thirties!” She dropped her video game controller in fright. She'd been playing for the past six hours. One of our robot servants ran over and pushed pause for her. “What if we get jobs? Is it contagious?”
          “No Belle, it's not a disease. And they don't exist anymore anyway.”
         “Oh, good. I thought we were in trouble honey.”
         “Yeah, we would have been if we had jobs. We would have to work...and work sounds unpleasant. In jobs people may have to work for hours on end, up to eight a day even or more!” The whole article confused me.
         “What's work?”
          I shook my head. “It's something very disturbing. It looks like it's doing something, a task, but in a job against your will. Like your video game but usually unpleasant.”
         “Why would anyone do this?”
         “For money apparently.”
         “Like in my games?”
         “Yes but back then there was special money that existed outside games that people used to get real things.”
         “Buying real things? Never heard of such a thing. The robots get us everything.”
         “Well back then there weren't any robots to get us everything. I'm reading that this was before the self-sufficient robots servant network was created.”
         “Harold. Hearing about this is all very disturbing.”
         “Yeah...it is.”

No comments:

Post a Comment