Translate

Friday, January 11, 2013

Today's #flashfiction #HowToThinkLikeAPowerfulWizard

“I see dead people”
Dr. Temperance "Bones" Brennan*



      Going to the doctor's office then later negotiating peace with aliens for the safety of planet Earth. In general another boring day.
      Anyway onto the flash fiction!




How To Think Like A Powerful Wizard


       The important question in the life is not whether or not you want to be a wizard, but whether or not you want to be a powerful one. And there's another question, what you're willing to go through it. To become a truly powerful wizard it takes beyond just deals with demons, which can only get you so far, and magical artifacts and simpler. To become more powerful it takes you changing the way you think.
      Here's a foundation of normal logic I bet your used to: “A thing is itself.” Simple term. Simple rule. However in order to become a wizard you have to break this rule. (In fact breaking this rule regularly has made it difficult for me to use pronouns and names without hesitation or a moment's thought to set myself in old ways of thinking)
      When my teacher told me to break the rule I wondered how. She told me how it worked. Nothing is an itself. Everything is made of something smaller. Things made of molecules, molecules made of atoms, atoms of protons, neutrons, electrons etc. And those things make up bigger things. Everything goes infinitely up or infinitely down. Thus a thing is never itself, just the infinite segments that make it up. And this break in logic helps because magic is about manipulating all these pieces. They are the same pieces science works with, atoms and all. Though I use very different tools.
      As for how this logic works with me everyday. People don't really feel the same. My wife is only a collection of those segments moving among other segments waiting to be manipulated. Everything is like a cloud. Though I abandoned the idea of “cloud” a long time ago. Your categories of object is what I left behind. That's one difference between me and scientists. They talk about the segments in the universe and still say things like “cloud”, “Sun”, “river”, “cat”, “dog”. It takes a lot of habit for me to socialize.
      There is just one object that my brain just won't let me conceptually turn into only bits and pieces. It'd make it a lot easier to do magic on it. I just can't stop thinking of me as me. That's one place I can't change the rule no matter how hard I try to force my brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment