Translate

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Todays #Scifi #fantasy #flashfiction #OptimisticHamlet

“I'll have a large with everything on it.”
Jenny Craig*


      Today I had a random thought/epiphany thingie about space-time and all that while I was eating lunch. See people usually talk about the start and end of something, like the universe. I came to think that in a way “starting” and “ending” are concepts invented by us, people. We talk about the start and end of a movie but does “start” and “end” ever happen? The “movie” is made up by us. The specific broadcast on a television as in an event is made up by us. In the sense of perpetual physics the only thing that exists is the current now that leads to the next now. But each now cannot be called an individual now without taking into account the fact that a moment is being called a moment by whatever definition that humans define it as. Thus there is no start or end but only “happening” within a forever continuing truly physically undefinable “now”.
       I'm not sure if I agree with this idea I came up with as being true(I just came up with it today) or if I communicated it clearly to you all. But I did feel like rambling about it! I wonder how many other people thought of this version of time...
       Anyway onto the flash fiction!


Optimistic Hamlet


     Hey my name's Steve, time traveling, extra dimensional ghost with psychic powers able to allow me to read and manipulate the minds of all people. So yeah, I'm just touring the ages and I run across this really sad guy named Hamlet having the most depressing internal monologue it just stopped me in my tracks.

To be, or not to be that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles
And by opposing end them. To die, to sleep
No more and by a sleep to say we end
The heartache, and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to. 'Tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wished. To die, to sleep
To sleep perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub,
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil...

      And that was no where near the end of it the poor guy. He just kept going on with this mental contemplation, and it was about suicide! Poor fella. Normally I don't interfere with things but I decided I would go back in time and not change the course of his life but at least put a happy attitude in his head so his monologue wouldn't be so depressing. I really liked what he thought when I fixed him up:

To be or not to be that is the question:
A question I shouldn't worry about,
Because I'm already pretty sad already.
My week can't get any worse anyway.

     There all better. Well, I'm going to time travel to the 70's for a quick disco dance or two. I don't know what he was so depressed about but I think he should be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment