Translate

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Today's #flashfiction #TheRelationBetweenPeopleAndTheTruth

“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.”
Marty McFly*



     Heading off to a friend's birthday party today. Naturally I will ensure that there will be ten or one hundred times more shenanigans than there would be if I were not present.





The Relation Between People and the Truth


       When you get a wish you wonder “how can I keep my words from being twisted”? That whole thing of it all going all wrong. Or it not being what you wanted? What if wishing for immortality makes you a zombie? Well through some circumstance or another I got myself a wish. I'd rather keep the method of getting wishes to myself to avoid having other people get into my situation or causing me trouble by getting them. I'll admit it was by one of those genies. He only gave me a single wish. And if you really need some place in your head to imagine where it came from just picture a little garage sale during a comfortable spring. That'll be your mental placeholder.
       I decided I was going to pick a wish that could get me incredible power without causing me harm. Wishing for ultimate power could turn me into a giant battery. I didn't know how it would all turn it out. My end wish was to wish to know “all the scientific facts in the world”. Though a few more words were added to say that my brain should stay intact magically and not explode from added information or something like that.
       But the genie didn't need to physically damage my brain with the added information to ruin me. He just needed the phrase “all the scientific facts in the world”. I picked scientific so I wouldn't know what some crazy serial killer was doing and go mad from that. I picked it so I knew everything in every textbook, statistical information, and what the Department of Defense was working on and so much more. In the end though the genie made me realize that the concept of fact was an invention of humanity and a matter of their perspective.
       I learned every single version of a fact from every single human that knew that fact. Atoms existing? Every single human interpretation of that I knew. Wrong or right. So if some kid got it all wrong I knew that version. I had every single version of every single misconception. So with the fact of atoms “existing” I got some feelings that they didn't exist too from the people that didn't think they did. That was maddening since the facts I wanted in the first place started to get lost. All of these truths made reality noise. Like static.

No comments:

Post a Comment