Translate

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Today's #flashfiction #TheWizardsLoan

“I look both ways before I walk across the street.”
Cerebus* #quote


     Went shopping at an antique-ish store place called the Brass Armadillo and went out to lunch. Plus brother and his girlfriend came over for dinner. Didn't have enough time to write a flash fiction unfortuately, an unusual thing eh? So I'm posting something from my first story a day way back when in 2009 before I started my blog last year. It isn't changed at all from that time besides me removing the double spacing(odd-lookingness of it will be because of that).
      Anyway onto the flash fiction!


The Wizard's Loan

      The bar roared with laughter. The ogre had a little too much liquor and was making quite the fool of himself. But as long as he kept paying for the beer the zombie barkeep would be giving him more. A beautiful mermaid sat next to her hideous vampire husband. Either true love surpasses looks, or he was very rich. The zombie grumbled when one of the light bulbs when out. Apparently the fairy inside got tired. He got his bone ladder and climbed up to replace it.
      This is when Gregory came through the bar doors. He had come to discuss his loan with The Wizard. He walked between the tables as the fantasy creatures stared at him; most of them have never seen an ordinary human before. However the wise old sphinx could sense something odd about him. Gregory then walked to the end of the bar, where, at a worn oak table The Wizard sat.
     The Wizard had a long beard, half the hairs were white, the others gray. This caused the illusion of crashing waves in his hair. He had a long nose, like a diving board, with what seemed to be a forest of nose hairs poking out of it. His hat was tall and pointed, with lines of color running around it similar to a barber pole. He had set his wand on the table, the magic gem at the top shined like twilight.
       Gregory sat down at the table, looking directly into The Wizard’s haunting purple eyes. Nobody stared The Wizard directly in the eye. With a single spell he could curse you for a hundred years. But unlike most Gregory did not fear The Wizard. Gregory did not fear The Wizard because he knew The Wizard no had magical powers. And the reason he knew was because The Wizard had given them to him.
     “You’re late on your payment Mr. Stafford.” The wizard said as he picked up a wine class with his shaking fingers, age had worn them away.
      “Does it really matter? I’m here now and this is the last payment. After I pay off this last bit of interest I can leave this musty bar and I won’t ever have to see your ugly face again.” Gregory checked his watch; he wondered how long this would take.
       “I figured you’d be grateful, you’ve seem to have grown quite fond of my powers. I can’t believe you paying it all back, including the interest.” The Wizard said as he took a swig of wine and set the bottle down, even a little alcohol hit his old body hard.
       “Why are you surprised? You’re prices mean nothing to me. Your magical powers are all I need.” he said as he signaled the barkeep to bring him another bottle.
       “But I took so much from you. You’re family, friends, and the love of your life. You gave me all the happy memories you’ve gotten over the years, you even gave me all your talents and skills. You gave me all you had.” The Wizard said as he leaned closer and whispered, “You don’t regret it?”
         Gregory laughed, “No. Of course not. Power is all I need old man.”
         The Wizard laughed back, “Ah, yes. You may not believe me, but you will regret this. It may take many years, but it will happen.” Gregory laughed again, The Wizard shook his head, “Let me tell you a secret, my powers were not my own as well. I had been given them from another wizard, and I paid the same prices you have. I stood in the same position you did, powerful and strong, and I loved it. But as I grew older I began to yearn for all I had lost to the other wizard. That’s where you came in. I gave all my powers to you to take back what I had lost from you. And now I wonder what poor sap you’ll loan yours too.” The Wizard stood up and began to walk out of the bar.
      Gregory still sat at the table in shock. Even though The Wizard had said it would take many years for him to regret it, but he already started too. He began to sweat and all he could do was watch The Wizard leave the bar.
       “By the way Mr. Stafford, I have already taken the last bit of your interest, the last bit of your happiness, and all the rest of your hope. Thank you for giving me all I had lost. It’s been great doing business with you.” The Wizard chuckled to himself as he walked out the bar doors.
    Gregory glanced around the bar; he was looking for someone he could make a loan to.

No comments:

Post a Comment