Translate

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Today's #flashfiction #TheWizardsMostDangerousSummoning

“Down the hall, first door on the left.”
M.C. Escher* #quote



      Today I went to my writer's meeting and did some good ol' fashioned workshoppin'. It was good fun. Anyway onto the flash fiction!




The Wizard's Most Dangerous Summoning



       The Great Wizard Edwards had summoned many creatures to deal with. Dragons. Zombies. Angels. Demons. So many different things, some benign, some dangerous and crooked. He struck bargains and deals with these beings for most of all of his life...many times to extend it by many more years through magic.
Edwards stroked his thick, wizardly beard, a symbol of many years of surviving spell craft as he waited for the most recent creature he summoned. He got his best looking blue robes for this occasion well as pointed hat. He felt like proper looks would defend himself better while dealing with this creature he summoned. Unlike other creatures he summoned he didn't use a summoning circles. It actually took a sequence of well placed phone calls.
       “Come in,” he said when the creature came to his house at last.
       “I expected a fancier house from a Great Wizard. You prefer to live humbly, or do you save up all your money on spell components?” Into his house walked a human. The creature wasn't a goblin or demon. The human wasn't a wizard. He wore a brown business suit and had skin as black as oil but the purest whitest teeth the wizard ever saw.
       “Well, welcome Mr. Glass.” The wizard noticed that the man wore incredibly expensive protective magic charms and artifacts on his suit collar. “Sir, what's with all the protection?”
        Mr. Glass responded, “You should know by my reputation Edwards that I don't do business as...clean as my competitors do in any of the thousands of different products I deal in. I've gotten plenty of enemies. This is why I've bought so many magical protective items.”
       “Of course,” Edwards replied.
       “Now I'm very curious why you called me here. There are very few times I ever meet with someone when they won't tell me why. But you're a very powerful wizard asking a businessman of the non-magical lands for help. What could you want that you wouldn't be willing to discuss over the phone?” Mr. Glass had dealt with many dealings like Edwards did. But he always maintained a strong arm. Little to Edwards knowledge just outside the house twenty hired wizards waited to protect Mr. Glass and kill Edwards should the slightest thing go awry.
      “My Wizard's Guild is having trouble and we need your help,” he explained with a frown.
      “Oh? A guild rivalry. I've heard how intense those can get. How could I influence something like that? Isn't that just squabbling over spell rights or something? I hear its pretty much a kind of copyright law.”
      “It's much more complicated than that. Those are some of the daily issues. The Amber Dragon Guild, the biggest competing guild with us, is trying to crush my guild. And they're succeeding. They're starting to crush us in courts and getting more than just spells under their control, they're buying more and more dragon lands, they're starting to control the artifact shops. I could go on. What they're doing is instead of competing directly with us in normal wizard negotiations they're controlling the business side of magic to get rid of us and they've already struck deals with so many businesses that I couldn't go to magic businesses for help.”
      “So since they control the magical world, at least in your area, you need me. Especially since I can play dirty enough to fight them and all their dealings.” Mr. Glass smiled.
      “Why are you smiling?”
       Mr. Glass pulled out cellphone. “I do believe I found a wonderful business opportunity. Excuse me for a moment. I may be able to help you, but I need to consult with my magic attorney on this. One moment.” Edwards didn't like the fact that Mr. Glass was bringing what he thought he would be anonymous to someone else's ear so soon. The businessman left the building for a few minutes then came back.
       “I can help you. I'll take care of the other guild for you.” Mr. Glass walked over to a crystal ball Edwards on a nearby table.
       “What are going to do?” Edwards asked. “What did you talk to your attorney about?”
       “Your enemies are trying to destroy you with money, controlling the business side of everything as you said. I know business. I have enough money and skill to crush them no matter who's backing them. It's that simple.”
       Edwards grew suspicious immediately, “What's the catch?” The wizard did deals with demons with demons before.
       “You give me your guild,” Mr. Glass replied.
       “What!? That's insane! I spent 100 years building that guild from the ground up! Do you know how magical bargains I've extended my life with to maintain that control to ensure a legacy?”
The businessman replied, “Normally a non-wizard has very limited business power in the magical world. But my attorney told me the way a guild doctrine is worded 'Any human can be appointed guild head.' and a guild head has business capabilities. It's my way into the magic world you see. And I found out from expanding my business into Mars that expanding your business into other worlds can very profitable.”
       “But you're going to turn my guild into some business agency, not a place of magical practices! My century of work will be turned inside-out!” The Great Wizards Edwards yelled.
       “You will either partner with me or you will have no guild at all. Understood? Besides, I'll expand it so large that I can make a section just as big as what you had originally for you to play around in. That'll keep you happy, right?” Mr. Glass smiled.
      “Understood.” Edwards nodded.
      “Oh, and will be doing more than just throwing money at it to solve the problem. I may do things you won't be comfortable with. Opponents of yours may...disappear, for example. I will do many things for your guild you may not like. And if you try to reveal me I will have to make you disappear as well. Is that understood?”
     “Understood.” Edwards nodded.
     “Good doing business with you Great Wizard Edwards.”

No comments:

Post a Comment