Translate

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Today's #flashfiction Out Of Inspiration

 “I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse.”
Bob Barker, The Price Is Right* #quote


Think about how many times have you felt boxed in. Now think about how many times you've felt boxed out. Now think of how many times it involved cardboard boxes. Anyway onto the flash fiction!

Out Of Inspiration

          Artist Nathan Grover made millions selling his works. The art community loved him. At first no one loved his work, but at the age of forty his work broke through. However at the age of sixty he stopped making art. Interviewers asked him why and he said he couldn't make any good pieces for lack of inspiration. Some people who mocked his art style wondered what could possibly stop him from coming up with different ways to make abstract blobs of paint of normal everyday objects.
          One night, a few years into his inactivity, his wife approached him on the matter. “Dear, I haven't talked to you because I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt, and space. But I think you're lying. What is the real reason you can't paint anymore? It's something besides a lack of inspiration isn't it?”
            Nathan told his wife, “I tried to sell the art I made after my years of training at the art schools and it never worked. I never made any of the paintings I sold after all those years of schooling.”
His wife looked at him shocked. “Are you saying they're stolen?”
             The artist then confessed, “No, I made them when I was a kid. I feel so worthless. All the hard work and the only thing people like are the little things I did before I hit puberty. The reason I can't make any more art is because I ran out of my works from when I was a kid. I've got nothing to give them.” A horrible feeling about his life welled up inside Grover even though he had plenty of money to retire extremely comfortably with his wife, he felt worthless. All the compliments over his many years of putting art in galleries felt hollow.
            Nathan's wife then replied, “I don't see why you can't think like a your young self again. Now go pick up that brush.”

            The artist listened to his wife and with a new mindset didn't have trouble with inspiration again.

No comments:

Post a Comment