Translate

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Today's #flashfiction Dreaming In The Rain

“Who let the dogs out?”
Ivan Pavlov* #quote


Directions are crazy. After all, if you go West enough of something you'll be East of it. If you go North enough of something you'll be South of it. Or will you? Anyway onto the flash fiction!


Dreaming In The Rain

         In a dream I found myself in a shambled house in the rain. The storm was heavy and despite the fact that much of the rain came through I stayed with the family since it was the only place to hide from the torrent in the dream. We all hid the best we could in the two story home made of a bedroom on the top floor and a kitchen on the bottom with the rest washed away in the storm. The building bobbed up and down like a ship and I huddle in a blanket for warmth just like everyone else. Everyone pulled their personal blankets around them like it was their most treasured possession. Perhaps in this storm it was.
       Light didn't come from the Sun or Moon, but from lighting on the horizon. It took time for me to construct vague pictures of everyone's faces. The children, seven in all, four girls and three boys, ranged ages four to twelve. They all looked scared but they became much more calm when the father began telling stories. I don't remember the stories, but I think most of them were old fairy tales. The mother told some stories too.
        Next came time for me to tell some stories. The first one that came to me was the Tortoise and the Hare. When I spoke the children seemed absolutely entranced. Like it was the most exciting thing they'd ever heard. Their fear of the rain vanished.

       Then my mind realized I was dreaming. That none of this existed. That these people I met didn't exist. I also felt myself waking up. The entire dream ending. I knew that this family, although a mere figment of my mind, would now die and I would never see them again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment