Translate

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Today's #flashfiction A Most Interesting Employment

“1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm. 2. A robot must obey the orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law. 3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.”
HAL 9000* #quote

Who drops the rain I wonder? Anyway onto the flash fiction!

A Most Interesting Employment

          I felt odd wearing a “Hello my name is Dan” sticker on my first day on the job at my ninja apprenticeship, considering I otherwise wore only black like my colleagues in this “clan”. Dan was my alias, but it probably didn't matter, they most likely knew everything about me. At least the big bosses did.
          This place gave me the chills, yet it had a very cozy vibe to it with large cubicles and a massive break room. But the weapons room right next to our cubicles made everything disturbing, and every door either led to either the mundane office supplies or tools of death.
           My master, who interviewed me for the job and wore his own identifying sticker, walked up to me. His sticker read, “Hello my name is Billy.” He pointed at the break room and I saw another young ninja. He then said to me, “Watch that ninja.”
          The ninja grabbed his coffee from the break room, drank it, then fell over dead.
          My master then continued, “The fool left his coffee unattended in an office of ninjas. I don't want you making the same mistake. This also serves as a warning. Back out now if you cannot handle the pressure of constant tests like these by your seniors. Everyone will try to get you while you work here in ways that they won't get caught by the bosses.”

        I laughed and told my master, “I worked in a fast food joint. This isn't scary at all.”

No comments:

Post a Comment