Translate

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Today's #Scifi #fantasy flash fiction #TheDuelForTheDragonsBlood

“Every kiss begins with Kay”
Lord of the Rings*


        Today I learned out there was something called a nasal ranger. It's a portable device that detects odors. Why did I find out about such a device? There is a completely logical reason that makes perfect sense in context...but I'm just going to leave that up to your imagination.
Anyway onto the flash fiction!


        The Duel For the Dragon's Blood
         
        “So how many times has it been Merlin? Battle 50 somethin'.” I laughed while the wizard chased me on his pegasus. Did he really think that winged horse could catch up to me in the clouds? This is my domain. After all I am a dragon.
       “You beast! I will have your blood!” The wizard shot lightining from his staff. I admit the thing looked impressive when it glowed. But the lightning merely went straight to my horns atop my head. All my life I thanked my ancestors for evolving those enchanted horns to divert lighting from both storm clouds and pesky wizards. If I didn't have them his little plan to roast my wings may have worked.
       “Y'know I thought a wizard of your caliber would know about our horns.” I then thought for a moment and smiled with my sharp teeth. “Hey didn't you try that last time you chased me in the sky. I like the Pegasus though. Before you've been using griffons and magic carpets.”
         Merlin grew agitated. Just like he did every time. “Stop your banter monster! Every single one of these battles would come to an end if you just let me catch you.”
          “No!” I yelled at him. “You will not jab that thing into my flesh! I will not suffer that kind of pain.”
His face grew red. “How could a dragon be so pathetic? I've been shooting lighting at you and you're afraid of that?”
           I stopped in the air. I wouldn't take him downplaying this. “Lighting is nothing. That thing is sharp.”
           Merlin yelled at me, “It's a shot! It's just a shot!”
          “I hate shots!” I shouted back.
         “It'll only take five seconds!”
         “No!”
        “You baby!”
        “Bully!”
         “We're testing you for demon worms!”
         “I'd rather have them then a shot!”
        “I already told you the reason you're afraid of them is because the last one you had was when you were two. You're grown now. Take your shot! We wouldn't be having this problem if you hadn't eaten that elder demon like I told you not to.”
        “It was going to kill you.”
       “I could have handled it.”
       “It took your staff.”
       “Just take the shot!”
      “Hold on, will I get a lollipop when it's over like when I was two?”
      “Wait what? Oh, yes, yes, you will definietly get a lollipop when it's done you can have as many lollipops as you want when it's done.”
     “Okay I'll get the shot.”
      So after the exchange I got the shot...it wasn't as bad as when I was two...and I got a lollipop! Yay! I think Merlin mentioned something about wanting a dog though. I wouldn't mind another pet around the house.



Author Comment: Here's a fun little tidbit about the evolution of plot writing that can happen, at least with me. Originally this story was going to be about Merlin getting the blood to make an elixir to save his dying son. As you can see this plot is a little bit different.

No comments:

Post a Comment