Translate

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Today's #Scifi #fantasy short story TheSpiritOfLiteraturesMessage

“I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you meddling kids!”
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation*


       While on the Internet today I noticed one of Progressive Car insurance banners where they have Sonic the Hedgehog. I thought it odd that they used Sonic the Hedgehog for their ads but I never gave it deep thought because I don't pay much attention to TV commercials or those banners. But now I thought about it beyond the oddness of “What demographic are they going for?” Here I began to think...
     Why would Sonic the Hedgehog want car insurance?
     The “blue blur” is an animal with super speed. He runs faster than cars. The only time he's used cars was during one or two racing games (But is still inefficient compared to him running, I guess he was just being sporting?) If I had to go with a video game character as mascot for my car insurance company I personally would have gotten Mario. Wouldn't make more sense to have a middle-aged plumber shopping for car insurance than an animal with super speed?


The Spirit of Literature's Message

      Greetings. I am a Spirit of Literature. Bit of a pretentious sounding title isn't it? How about you just call me Todd. It's much more pronounceable than my real name anyway. I've come here from native realm beyond the pages to deliver you a warning. Deliver all you readers a warning.
       Distance yourself from the written word.
       My brothers and sisters didn't want me to tell you this. They disagree with me. But I believe that it is in your best interest to listen to me. My warning is that stories are dangerous. You have been telling them for eons but now that you are becoming more and more sophisticated as a specifies you have been evolving your fiction and creating more of it. My brothers and sisters are ecstatic that books are spreading. However I understand their danger. I understand the danger of it all.
      And it goes beyond just a book. Even the littlest story can damage you or anything like a news article.     Words are a dangerous thing and now they are being swapped at an alarming rate instead of just in your isolated villages.
       You may be laughing now. Some of you even thinking “Yes I've heard this 'propaganda speech' before.” I don't speak of propaganda. I'm not talking about some sort of political swaying by some corrupt organization. I'm talking about the insanity of the word itself. A Spirit of Literature such as myself is born within the world of words beyond the pages. It is an unreal world that I am seeing you humans dragging yourself more and more. It is the place where the insanity of the word exists.
     Imagine this scene: There's a nice, little house on a hill. It's painted white. It's worn, yet still looks vibrant. At the bottom of the hill is a tall fence and it keeps in all the puppies that belong to the family. It's a fresh litter full of brown, happy, playful dobermans. They almost look like their laughing when they pant and play.
        You've gone insane. You've dragged yourself into a scene that doesn't exist. A world that doesn't exist.   You give these words life. Even if I lose my life as a Spirit of Literature I wish you humans lost all language so you wouldn't be exposed to words and dragged into images of things that don't exist. Why can't you be like an animals? Why are you pulling yourself into words? Into non-existence? Often into the non-existence of just imagining characters that aren't real? You even cry for them in your insanity. You analyze these stories.  You bury your minds deep in words. I was born into metaphysical plane beyond these pages. I've seen your minds being buried into these stories from my world. You even do it with your movies, video games, comic books and art. Sometimes I wonder if those are even more twisted. When I see a bird fly in the sky at least I know it lives in the real world.
      You humans understand abstraction. You think your intelligence is a blessing? You have been gifted with madness! The ability to send your minds into the darkness of non-existence! I've warned you...distance yourself from the words.

No comments:

Post a Comment