Translate

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Today's short story #PlayingGod

"Why can't we all just get along?"
Joan Rivers*


Today I did mysterious things...dastardly things...I also had difficulty coming up with a good enough story for everyone so I pulled an old story out from way back when another backup. This is completely unaltered from it's original 2009 form.



Playing God

         I came in my room battered and beaten psychologically. A test in all my classes, one right after the other, pulled my brain into knots. I placed my apple shaped black backpack on the floor as I stumbled into bed. I picked up the teddy bear my mother had given me when I was three, no matter how old I became I would never throw him away.
        “Do you think Jake needs a brain break?” I asked my teddy.
           “Of course Jake!” I made the teddy say in a silly voice I had made up for him at the age of five.
            “Well, Teddy, how about some videogames? Those are good for brain breaks aren’t they?” I smiled as I addressed my worn toy.
          “Yes they are! What better way is there to relax? You gotta go play one now!” he said to me with the same happy expression he always has.
            “If you insist…” I said, knowing how stubborn Teddy can be. But as always, I knew he had my best interests at heart. He’s wiser then anyone I’ve ever known. I set Teddy down on the bed facing the T.V. so he could watch. I powered on the television and the game console one right after the other. They both said hello to me in the hums and whirs they make as they turn on. I grabbed my controller and became quite eager to play. I laughed at myself when I noticed I had not put a game in the console. I decided to play one of my most favorite games today, “God”
           An image of Earth appeared on the screen, the clouds wrapping around the Earth like a jacket. The “Push Start” prompt appeared above the Earth flashing with a steady rhythm. After taking a look at all the fine details of the planet, I decided to start the game.
            The game had been designed quite brilliantly, I could zoom in to anything on the planet, change anything and everything about it, with only a few buttons. Even though it was only a game, I still felt a rush of power flow from the controller through my body.
         The Earth was a clock, and all its gears moved naturally without my influence. The animals grazed and hunted while the trees grew towards the clouds grabbing for the falling water. People went to and from work, sighing in unison hoping the hours ticked by a little faster for them. Whether they wanted to go home to eat dinner with the family or fall asleep on the couch, the workers of the world grew impatient of labor eventually.
           This cycle became boring to me after watching it for only five minutes. And I was even fast-forwarding through months at a time. I decided to stop waiting for my entertainment something needed to be done. This mundane loop would bore me no longer. I opened up the natural disaster menu and created a few tornadoes and quakes to mix things up. The aftermath of my mischief was quite entertaining.
           I saw people cry as friends and families died in the chaos. One man I zoomed in on was standing next to his own crippled daughter who had been half flattened by a falling building. Another man, much less pitiful, cursed the Earth for destroying his entire lively hood in one fell swoop, his house had collapsed upon itself, destroying everything he owned in a seconds. On the flip side of all the sadness, an ecstatic couple ran to each other thanking God that their loved one had escaped intact. They kissed and hugged, relieved that they were now in each other’s arms and could be forever afterwards. This kind of sappy stuff annoyed me, so I selected one of them and made him die of a heart attack.
              Perhaps I was too hard I them I thought. So after swallowing a good chunk of guilt, I rewound my work a little, reviving him. That little good deed of mine gave me a warm fuzzy feeling inside, so I decided to lay off the chaos for a bit. Perhaps after I’m done being a saint I’d go back to my shenanigans and start few nuclear wars.
          I had the idea of being more detail oriented this time. After all, it could be much more fun to control one person’s life specifically rather than doing something sweeping like solving world hunger. I took a glance at Teddy on my bed, as usual he smiled, and I knew he must have been enjoying the show.
The man I turned my attention was perhaps the one of the most useless people on the planet. Poor, stupid, ugly and without any talents or skills, the only thing he really had was his kindness. He had no friends or family left on this Earth, I wondered if I killed them in one of my previous deeds.
           I had a cute little plan for him. I set up a mugging on his usual route home from his low paying job. From afar he saw a woman being attacked by a man at least three times her size and double his. I gave him courage he never had so that he would spring in to save the day. I rigged the fight in his advantage; I didn’t want my toy being killed. But I made sure my hero got shot in the arm by the criminal. The girl called both the police and the paramedics, the bad guy was caught and the good guy came out alive.
The reason I had made him get shot and live is because I needed to make him a noble hero who took a bullet to help someone. I had made the girl come from a very rich family, so she paid for all of his surgeries and his prosthetic limb. His noble sacrifice made her fall in love with them and it wasn’t long before they were married and lived happily ever after.
            I put down the controller and picked up Teddy again, “So Teddy, what do you think of what I’ve done this time around?”
           I made Teddy speak in his lovable voice again, “A large amount of chaos with a little sweet story mixed in, the perfect recipe for a great game session!”
       “Wait,” I interrupted Teddy, “There’s something else I have to do.”
        “What’s that?” Teddy asked in a confused voice.
        “I have to get a high score.”
       Ah, the high score. Someone called the “God of all Gods” had set the unbeatable high score. The Godlier the deeds you did, the higher score you got. That God scored upwards the trillions. Most players would be dumbstruck just by the very idea of someone honestly attempting to top that score. I wondered what they’re reaction would be once I beat it.
         I put the controller down and popped my knuckles. Then I got a drink of water and downed a sandwich. I had to be perfectly prepared for this. I wiped some sweat off my brow and began my game once more.
           I controlled every aspect of human history and life. Everything acted according to my will. I caused all war and death, as well as life and love. I got bored with humans and wiped them out with another ice age, soon after sculpting a new dominate race by messing around with evolution. Even though I had given them bat wings and three heads, I got bored with them too. A few thousand meteors took care of them. With all my Godly deeds I became within only a hundred points under the current high score.
             But my heart sank as I saw a new user log into my game. I saw the user name of the player: superGoddude1224. That was the user name of the current holder of the high score. Within moments he caught up to me then beat his previous score by three times the original amount. I put the controller down and gave up.
         “Giving up that easily?” a voice I never knew came from what seemed to be all around me.
         “Where are you? Who are you?” I panicked and looked over at Teddy, hoping that he could tell me who had invaded my home.
       “I’m superGoddude1224. Though really I’m just plain old God,” the voice boomed through my body and soul.
         “What?” I didn’t quite understand what was going on.
           “Don’t worry, you’re not the first person I talked to who became flabbergasted when I said hello. Sometimes you mortals are really cute, trying to beat me in my own game. Why are you guys such control freaks? Well, I won’t stop you from playing your games, so if you want to try doing my job again, go ahead, but no mortal really has what it takes to be God. You’re welcome to try again Jake, but don’t think for a second you’re a better God than me.” The voice faded away, leaving the room eerily quiet.
           “Teddy, I don’t think I should play this game again.” I then took the disc out of the console and turned off the game. I threw the disc away because now I knew my place in the universe.

---

Come up with your own quote a days? Email them to me at llkenne1@asu.edu and I may put them on the blog. If you want I will credit you for finding them!

No comments:

Post a Comment