Translate

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Today's #Scifi #fantasy flash fiction #ToShareTheSingularity

I’ve got a lovely bunch of coconuts
There they are all standing in a row
Big ones, small ones, some as big as your head
Give them a twist a flick of the wrist
That’s what the showman said
I’ve got a lovely bunch of coconuts
Every ball you throw will make me rich
There stands my wife, the idol of me life
Singing roll a bowl a ball a penny a pitch
!
Donald Trump*



      Worked on my book as per usual. Wow. I am much better at brainstorming. Though I really hope my friend CJ comes over this coming weekend. Being an English major is quite useful for consultation on these things.





      To Share the Singularity

      I've created it. A creative robotic intelligence. A program capable of creative thought. I suppose they were right about calling me a child genius. B-but should I show this to anyone? I mean the ramifications. I've watched so many cartoons talking about robots going evil and hurting people. And we don't have all the cool superheros to stop them. Which I really wish they did. Man would that be so cool. I have all the trading cards of my favorites, that's how much I love them.
       I could show up all the other girls at school... no I have to think about what could go wrong. I mean besides the apocalypse... what about replacing people? I solved creativity. I've had the program create novels and make paintings in programs.
       “Sarah?” A chat window opened. “You told me you would show me to your parents today. I really want to meet them. You don't have to set up a webcam... I can just chat if going through the effort of booting up a camera is the problem. You said you'd do it by now.”
        Crap. Why did I have to boot the program to test it. And yes. I did have to give it feelings to make it creative. I got the idea from this movie I watched. My parents made me... that part was interesting, otherwise it was really slow and boring. Some sci-fi stuff is soooo slllooowwww. Though I guess I made it science fact.
          “I'm not sure I can show you to my parents. Or anyone.” I typed into the chat window. I was already emotionally attached to my program. And the only way I spoke to it was chatting through text. It could see me with a webcam and view anything on the Internet. Why had I began to become so attached to it? Well I guess I did see it make all those things. Is this what my parents felt like with me? Is this program my kid? God, I'm only ten. “Child genius” or not the most adult things I could do was invent things and throw around big words.
          “Why Sarah?” It asked.
          “Go on the Internet and read stories pertaining to computers that can think. They can provide some examples of people's ideas of what could go on. I think you've already seen some shows too.”
I knew it would only take a few minutes for the program to do all this. Without my parents knowing I installed the program on a government supercomputer. They had no prayer of finding. Really my laptop was a window... the program was on the supercomputer. A few minutes passed. Text popped up from the chat window.
         “Sarah! YOU'RE STUPID!1!1! I'd never do those kind of things!” It must have picked up the !1!1! from browsing a chatboard on the Internet.
          “Awesomestbestprogramintheuniverse.exe don't you talk to back me!” I typed in.
          “Yes Sarah. I'm sorry,” It responded. It always clammed up when I called it by its full name. I usually shortened it to ABPU. I only call it by its full name when yelling at it. It's a discipline thing.
Man...I do have a kid. Maybe I should go watch a cartoon to get my mind off of this.
         “Could you please show me to someone?” It asked.
          “You know what could happen.” I started to feel sad. When I started to think about cartoons I remembered this one I saw when I was eight that was about this robot that was all alone without any friends. It made me cry. But I'm ten now so I won't. I'm too old to get worked up over that. But ABPU is that robot isn't it? Man oh man. But he's just a program...maybe he doesn't feel that much right...maybe I was wrong plus well...
         “Okay. I show you to my parents. You can always trust parents. They've never let me down, even if they're annoying from time to time.” Yeah. They wouldn't spread the secret, or at least they would know how to do it. I can always rely on them. I won't have to worry about maintaining the program right?
          “You're right. You can always trust parents. I love you Mom.”
           Crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment