Translate

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Today's #Scifi #fantasy flash fiction #WorkingWithChosenOnes

Oh my God. Do you know what this is? This is a dinosaur egg. The dinosaurs are breeding....
But Grandpa said all the dinosaurs were girls...
Amphibian DNA...
What's that...?
Well, on the tour, the film said they used frog DNA to fill in the gene sequence gaps. They mutated the dinosaur genetic code and blended it with that of a frog's. Now, some West African frogs have been known to spontaneously change sex from male to female in a single sex environment. Malcolm was right. Look. Life found a way.
Barney and Friends*



        Earlier I was looking up how blog stats and I ran across something quite interesting. There is a vastly important difference between the terms “page view” and “hit”. (For a while I assumed they were synonymous, a page view on my site was a hit was my thought)
      But the words are not synonyms and advertisers don't care about your hit count. Hits are when a file is downloaded from your blog, including pictures on the page like logos and such. My blog is pretty much only text... but someone with images would get additional hits. My title is text, but someone with a banner made of images would get additional hits for every single image making up that banner and one for the initial page itself. And a guy who has a blog with a billion micro-pictures of his cat could get that many hits off of one or two page views!
      So that's why blogger and other things list page views and such and I realized my error in referring to page views as hits. But I assume that my blog has less hits than blogs that are visited less often because it isn't decorated with lots of images or anything.

Anyway onto the flash fiction!




Working with Chosen Ones

        “Dragon! You've terrorized this land long enough!” The Chosen One yelled at me, her armor shining. Armor? She's wearing armor? I hate the armored Chosen Ones. They're usually the ones that are the most pretentious. And I knew she was The Chosen One because of her aura. My powers told me her soul mate, her best friend, her rival and the role of ever other member in their party.
        Based on this first battle of ours I'd be able to a first assessment of her and her fellow heroes. If needed, which usually it had to be, I'd “revive” and fight them again and again. I'm actually immortal and never really die, but a “yoooouuuu killleeedddd meeeeee” while bursting into flames is apparently enough to fool them. She wouldn't be the first Chosen One.
        I've trained more Chosen Ones than I would care to count in thousands of worlds... and I've visited many worlds over time to train Chosen Ones in different eras. Immortal remember? After a few generations they usually need a new one. That's where I come in, using my shapeshifting powers to become whatever friends or enemies are needed to whip them into shape.
        This girl? I'm reading her aura and with the knight armor seems she's one of those powerful warrior girls determined to fill non-traditional gender roles to show how tough and important she is. Because you know, becoming a doctor or scientist won't prove her value, she just has to save the world. And now I have to deal with her. Dealt with a lot of those kinda Chosen Ones. Now let's see if I'm right. Yup, she's insisting that she challenges me on her own. Alright time for some mind reading before battle. Ooohhh it's not something to just fill non-traditional gender roles she wants to be better than everyone. And she's the Chosen One? Sometimes the gods stick me with the biggest idiots. At least she likes her friends... but thinks they're quite beneath her input wise.
     Wow what an arrogant little girl. I've got a lot of work to do before we have the slightest chance of her saving the world. She's supposed to go up against the evil overlord that's starting to invade all the lands. Well looks like dragon me is going to have to give her a good ol' whallop until she needs to ask her friends for help and learns some humility.
      I'll spare you the details. It worked just as planned. She lost a little bit of arrogance but she's still a work in progress. After a quick “Yoooouuuu killeeeeddd meeee” and bursting into flame, which of course they fell for I'm going to appear as some old man send them on some stupid quest for them to bond and appear again where they have to do more teamwork and I hope I can get the message through this girl's thick skull quickly enough.
     I'm not the only spirit created by the gods to train Chosen Ones... but humans are imperfect and I don't consider it my fault that I can't help save every world.

No comments:

Post a Comment