Translate

Friday, September 7, 2012

Today's #Scifi #fantasy short story #AGameOfPrejudices

       "I want to be alone, I just want to be alone"
       Dolly the sheep.
       Well went to my anime club today. It was show-n-tell day like we do every semester. I showed everyone my glass armonica. If you don't know what that is here's a link to someone playing one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQemvyyJ--g
      Mine is homemade and much, much simpler and works fairly differently as we had no idea how to make one. (The most instructions were put glass on a spinning rod, that's how Benjamin Franklin did it!) So really mine is still a prototype with 9 glasses. We attached the rod to an electric motor. Anyway onto the flash fiction!

A Game of Prejudices

        You. Human. You and I are going to play a sort of “game”. I know of human prejudices. You judging each other despite the fact you differ in so little traits. But I want to see how your potential prejudices with me. For I am a creature far different from you humans. One that you would see in only in your books, movies and fantasies. But at this point in time I'm not going tell you what I am. I want to think about how prejudices could go far beyond just your simple human species. I want you to imagine that you are speaking with me in a room about whatever, could be mundane like television or something much more important, like the wars going on in the world. I want you to think about the assumptions you would make about me. Let's play this game. And to play it I will simply list creatures that I could be and you will think of everything you would assume about me and how you would speak to me. How would you behave if I were: 
A dragon, twice your size;
A little girl fairy only a few inches tall;
A giant brain within a robotic shell;
A vampire wearing dashing clothes but a wicked smile;
A demon with twisted horns, and knarled teeth;
A snake with the upper body of a beautiful, smiling woman wearing a white dress;
A pile of slime with eyes all over and an oozing mouth;
A hardly visible ghost, where the wall behind me can be seen, but through an eerie white fog;
A squid creature somehow breathing on land that can somehow speak as well;
An animated statue copy of yourself;
A man wearing black with angel wings coming from his back;
A giant eye and nothing else. You can hear my voice ringing in your head.
        Now what did you think you would assume? I wonder how much you played along. If you did you might appreciate that your prejudices are limited to your merely your limited physical appearance DNA variance. Imagine your world if all of you varied in physical form to that degree. In truth I am a shape shifter with a condition where I randomly shape shift unlike others of my kind. Thus I have experienced random physical judgment based on huge physical variance. When I saw your species I wished I looked so similar to another. I wished I was the same. I have actually been all of those things.
        So how did you enjoy my game?

No comments:

Post a Comment