Translate

Monday, July 8, 2013

Today's #flashfiction #ClockworkOfSpells

“Remember to look both ways before crossing the street.”
Confucius* #quote



        I think that you know that I know that you might know that I might not know what you might maybe possibly know that I don't know what you might know about what I know about what I could know about what you didn't know about what I did today. Anyway onto the flash fiction!




Clockwork of Spells



       “Is your spell fitted? All the gears right?” My boss said to me. I didn't know gods could nag so much. Nag, nag, nag, nag. Well it's better than something like smiting something like me, a wee little fairy guy.
       “Yes. I put all the gears in the sphere. When magic flows through it, it operates without a hitch. We can put it in the pool now.”
       “Really?” The gods voice boomed. Why did they have to be even bigger than humans? And those massive layers of draping cloth they wore didn't help. Made them look more like curtains than living things. Couldn't even see any parts of his body without looking up since his feet were covered by falling cloth. Do they all robe themselves up like wizards? “Steve. I don't want to have another accident like last time.”
        “So I mess up one spell. What's the big deal? You don't need to babysit me.”
        “Steve...”
        “Fine. I triple check it.” Yeah, so he's concerned. I'm a spell fairy. The being that makes the magical spheres that control the flow of magic that make a spell work. I make the sphere, then put it in the Great Magic Pool. (More like an ocean really). When wizards cast their magic it follows the clockwork programming in my sphere. Yeah if I goof up the spell goofs up. As the boundaries of magic expand we spell fairies gotta make sure the magic programming is there so the spells don't go haywire. For the magic our clockwork guides it like roadsigns on a highway.
        “Quadruple check it.” My boss told me.
        “Fine!”
         The spell I goofed up was an immortality spell. So after wizards would gather up all they needed for immortality my spell clockwork would activate after they cast their spell. For the spell I programmed they would need the proper runes, many jewels, and many human sacrifices. It was discovered in a common branch of necromancy in many worlds at once so the spell was tried by many wizards very quickly at the same time. Thing is I goofed up so instead of immortality the wizards turned living bubblegum with thick Scottish accents.
       “It's perfect.”
        I put it into the Great Magic Pool. Finally. Wait.
        “Sorry! I goofed up! I need to grab it!”
        Whoah if I hadn't caught that wizards trying out a new ice spell would have summoned cooked bacon. Though in hindsight maybe I shouldn't have corrected myself on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment