Translate

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Today's #flashfiction #TheValueOfAFinale

“If I play my cards right...”
Wild Bill Hickok* #quote


      Yeah I'd bet you'd like to know something about what I did today. That's what I do in this middle section of the post. Well I'm not telling you so mwahahahhahaha!
Anyway onto the flash fiction!


The Value Of A Finale


       “Really you were quite good. Impressive really,” Merlin laughed. “But I'm one of the strongest wizards there is. You need to have the power of a god to beat me. That's not something you have young lady.”
I wasn't technically out. Sure my robes were burnt by magic spells. But I wasn't unconscious or out of the ring. My blonde hair fell to the ground. Tears fell from my green eyes. The tears came from the pain. I put on magical artifacts to let my body go beyond its usual limits before blacking out.
         “I'll win.”
         Merlin laughed again. “I didn't like dueling you from the start! What are you...eighteen? Just legal age to enter the tournament? You may have beaten every opponent you fought before but you can't beat me. Now I'd never throw a match, but I don't like hurting kids like you.”
        “I won't give up the prize money.” I had to by an expensive magic potion to cure my mother from a magical illness.
        “Oh, I've heard about your sick mother. The announcers talk about it constantly. Some people lie about their motivations for entering the contest for pity or hoping that their opponent throws the match. Lie or not I'm an immortal wizard and the pride of an immortal wizard is more important than the life of your mortal mother.”
        Merlin started to wave his wand. I could already tell what kind of spell he was going to cast. But before I could think of a counter spell my body fell to the ground and started being pulled into the ring. The ring of wizard's dueling think may have been padded but when Merlin increased the force to twice normal gravity it hurt. And he didn't stop there. It was a slow creep in intensity.
       “Looks like Elisa's in trouble from a strong gravity spell!” The announcer's said with little empathy while the packed stadium looked on to the area. They all wanted the powerful wizard Merlin to cast something more flashy.
       “You must have brought some powerful magical artifacts to protect you to remain conscious after all this gravitational pressure.” Merlin looked baffled. “What could be so powerful yet you couldn't just sell that for your mother's cure?”
He then cast another powerful spell. This one I didn't even recognize. The magical artifacts that I attached to the clothes under my robes with powerful spells detached and flew over to Merlin.They floated in the air in front of him.
        “Where did you even learn that kind of spell?” I asked Merlin.
        “I invented it,” He responded. “Wow. What a naughty girl. You must be desperate to cure your mother. These are very illegal and powerful artifacts. Well illegal because they endanger yourself so much by binding to your very soul. Laws to protect people from their own stupidity. If I destroy any of these your soul would be destroyed as well. This explains how a girl as young as you could beat all those experienced wizards.”
        “Artifacts are allowed at the tournament!”
        “And this tournament is held in neutral ground between countries where you can use them but you couldn't possibly sell them anywhere without dealing with dangerous things like demons which I doubt you even knew how to summon. I wonder if your mother was a demon summoner and her magical illness is one caused by demons...that makes sense. And she's where you got all these dark artifacts.”
        “Yes.” I admitted. Half proud and half ashamed of my mother's abilities as a demon summoner.
        “The match isn't won until either one of us forfeits, get's knocked unconscious, or falls out of the ring. I think I can break one of these and crush your soul to bring you unconscious.”
        “Please don't,” I asked him. I crawled towards him. “I'll beg at you feet.”
        “Fine then do it young wizard. Though I never forfeit a match.”
As soon as I got close to his feet I hit Merlin with the strongest spell I could in a magical sucker punch grabbed my magical artifacts and hit him again with another spell to knock him out of the ring.
Merlin laughed. “How cowardly! I ought to turn you into a toad!” The crowd looked in awe as the legendary wizard was defeated. “You just did something quite unhonorable! And a wrathful wizard like me...”
       “I'll do anything to save my mother. And even if you kill me she'll get the money for me winning so she'll get her cure.”
      “Heh. You'd think I'd be madder losing to you. But maybe it's the fact that you didn't beat me in magical prowess but with a little trick that changes it. Oh my teacher did say I became arrogant.” Merlin cast a spell with his wand. The first spell he cast that wasn't meant to harm me. It was a teleport spell. To where I don't know. I never saw him again. He never collected his second prize winnings.

No comments:

Post a Comment